Are magnets safe as a mounting option?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have these small neodymium magnets that I got a while back and this radar detector mount that someone that helpfully linked on these forums.

I have five magnets and I would probably do 3 magnets glued to the mount itself and two magnets glued to the dashcam. I need to have the mobius removable for extreme temperatures or if I'm parked in an unsafe area. So far, I've been using velcro, and it's not a pretty (and very messy) solution--especially in hot weather. If temperatures go over 100F, the velcro pads will fail to adhere the mount and the mobius, and I'll commonly find the dashcam somewhere near the center console.

Are these magnets safe to use on the dashcam/SD card?

If yes, what type of glue would I want that would glue metal to magnet and would also work for plastic to metal? It would also need to withstand 120F temperatures.

MobiusMount.jpg Have been using neodymium magnets since I have the Mobius. No problem. Does not interfere with camera operation at all. Suggest you do a 2 or 3 magnet to magnet mount. It'll give you a fixed position for the Mobius and not have to aim it everytime you detach and attach.. I use 2 magnet to magnet. Do a search on Mobius mounting or under my post and you'll see.
I use it as dashcam and action cam too so removal is very easy.

Last edited:
I have these small neodymium magnets that I got a while back and this radar detector mount that someone that helpfully linked on these forums.

I have five magnets and I would probably do 3 magnets glued to the mount itself and two magnets glued to the dashcam. I need to have the mobius removable for extreme temperatures or if I'm parked in an unsafe area. So far, I've been using velcro, and it's not a pretty (and very messy) solution--especially in hot weather. If temperatures go over 100F, the velcro pads will fail to adhere the mount and the mobius, and I'll commonly find the dashcam somewhere near the center console.

Are these magnets safe to use on the dashcam/SD card?

If yes, what type of glue would I want that would glue metal to magnet and would also work for plastic to metal? It would also need to withstand 120F temperatures.

Search the DIY forum and you will find many DIY mounting projects to have a look at.

Have been using neodymium magnets since I have the Mobius. No problem. Does not interfere with camera operation at all. Suggest you do a 2 or 3 magnet to magnet mount. It'll give you a fixed position for the Mobius and not have to aim it everytime you detach and attach.. I use 2 magnet to magnet. Do a search on Mobius mounting or under my post and you'll see.
I use it as dashcam and action cam too so removal is very easy.

Thanks! Is that a plate type thing glued on to the mobius which is then connected to a mount with magnets glued on the mount?

Can you glue the magnets directly onto the Mobius (on the side opposite to the heat shields)?

Yup, DIY forum/thread is where I got the idea for the radar mount idea!

the magnets won't affect the memory card, if I recall correctly @kamkar1 has a Mobius mounted with magnets

I figured the memory would be safe because it's flash memory, but no effect to the mobius itself? Not sure if that would ruin any circuitry or the like.

no, it's a solid state device, magnet won't be a problem
Even magnetic hard disks are not affected, they have neodymium magnets inside for the motors.

If you use larger 25mm diameter 2-3mm thick magnets then they can easily be stuck on with 3m pads as they have a decent surface area and only the same overall pull as a small thick magnet.

One thing to watch is that neodymium looses it's magnetism at high temperatures - just because they stick at 20C degrees does not mean that they will stick at 95C on a hot summer day so you may want to keep them out of direct sun and over rate them a bit.

Even magnetic hard disks are not affected, they have neodymium magnets inside for the motors.

If you use larger 25mm diameter 2-3mm thick magnets then they can easily be stuck on with 3m pads as they have a decent surface area and only the same overall pull as a small thick magnet.

One thing to watch is that neodymium looses it's magnetism at high temperatures - just because they stick at 20C degrees does not mean that they will stick at 95C on a hot summer day so you may want to keep them out of direct sun and over rate them a bit.

you'd want to be keeping your camera out of the car at those sorts of temps also

Thanks! Is that a plate type thing glued on to the mobius which is then connected to a mount with magnets glued on the mount?

Can you glue the magnets directly onto the Mobius (on the side opposite to the heat shields)?

It's a plastic strip from a expired credit card. Double sided tape to Mobius cover mount and 2 magnets glued to it.
The top plate is aluminum with 2 magnets to mount cam nearer to windshield.
Car's a Toyota Corolla.
This way I can remove camera's mounting bracket and use as action cam.
If you are using it as dashcam only or with capacitor I guess you can glue magnets to heat sink but as Nigel said Neo Dymium magnets looses magnetism on heat and the Mobius heat sink does get hot. Your choice.

I used a magnetic mount for a couple of different phones in my car, both of which had sd cards installed. The mount came supplied with 3 neo dymium magnets and a metal plate to stick to the phone's rear (you could also slip it between the phone and case) but I found that adding 3 more made it more secure (6 in total) and I never had any problems with corrupted sd cards.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

So far, I've been using velcro, and it's not a pretty (and very messy) solution--especially in hot weather. If temperatures go over 100F, the velcro pads will fail to adhere the mount and the mobius, and I'll commonly find the dashcam somewhere near the center console.

3M Dual Lock is what you want instead of velcro, you can get it with high temperature adhesives too. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Brands/Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fasteners/

I'm using the official möbius action cam magnet mount, and it's brilliant. The magnets are so strong it's nearly impossible that it will move once mounted! Also another site for mounting options on google is ped-products action cam

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Mobius 8
C Mobius 17
Back