Are rear cameras compatible with different Rexing models?

AACJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings,

I've had a V1P dash cam (insurance AGAINST accidents) for the last few years and as birthdays come around, I've been buying others for my family. I purchased the M1, also with a rear camera for my daughter, but she doesn't like that it's a mirror mount. I already wired her rear camera, mine is also mounted. Since it's the same manufacturer, does anyone think or know if the rear cameras may possibly be compatible with each other? It's the same size plug that plugs into each dash camera. I'd rather not take each out, then rewire them into each others vehicles if all I needed to do was just swap the main part of it.

Thoughts?

Some brands share the same rear cameras in and among newer models, so they are directly compatible, or compatible with a "fix" / new firmware
By "fix" i mean some times the sensor in the rear camera get upgraded, for instance in some cameras from street guardian, but you can still buy the new and better rear camera and put it on your older model, but you need the "fix" and a new firmware that support the hardware.
The "fix" are usually a boot loader you have to run / install first and then the new firmware, once done you just need to load the regular firmware in the future.

How it is with Rexing i can not tell, i am not personally familiar with the brand, and they dont see that much mentioning on this forum.
I do think it is safe for you to try, if it dont work you will get no picture or a bad one, i dont think it is like it is going to fry your whole system.

They use different sensor manufacturers for the different front cams, so my 'educated guess' is that they aren't swappable. You could contact their support and ask them directly. Many manufacturers have a presence on these forums however Rexing isn't one of those.

Phil
(ADDED: I had a deeper dig and they both use different processors, so no the cams will not interchange)

Last edited:
Well. It appears they also have different plugs, while they look the same with the naked eye, one is just a bit smaller than the other. If only Radio Shack was still open....

Makes sense about the different processors though too. Thanks for that reply. Where did you find that info? I feel like I searched the whole internet and came up short. I did email the manufacturer but that was just after creating this thread.

So it's off to rewire both vehicles now....

Thanks for the replies!

It's on the Rexing site but easy to miss, and it doesn't tell exactly which processors are used- only their brand name. Bur since each processor manufacturer handles data differently, that's all I needed to find out to know they're not compatible.

Phil

Yeah if thats the case then there are no chance.

I already swapped cams from one vehicle to another, so no big deal anymore. I forgot how easy it was to run the lines through the headliner. Didn't take much time, and my daughters Subaru was easier than my F-150, just wish it wasn't raining at the time..

I don't know if Rexing rear cameras are compatible with different models. I know that my V1P Max (4k front and 1080p rear) has a crappy rear camera that records too dark at night time and too blurry to read license plates.

Rexing isn't a popular brand here on the forums, low performance and reliability issues are the usual problems. But they do seem to be improving albeit slowly.

Phil

Rexing isn't a popular brand here on the forums, low performance and reliability issues are the usual problems. But they do seem to be improving albeit slowly.

Phil

Yeah, I feel like I've had my fair share of issues with it as it is, had to buy new memory cards and the screen seems to never save the info I put in it, ie, date/time and the "license plate." The other two I purchased for my wife and other daughter are NOT Rexing and I've had zero problems with them. I probably should have done more research prior to buying my first one, it was a Cobra and it was terrible, so yeah.

I do have one more question though. In my truck which originally housed the V1P, that dash cam was hard wired to the fuse box. The power ports on both the V1P and the M1 are the same. Do you think I can I use the hard wired power cord that came with the V1P in my M1?

That should work OK as long as the plugs are the same.

No cam is perfect, and even the most expensive ones have issues, so the trick is to know what you want then find a cam which does that bit well. Plenty of worse cams than Rexing, but like many other cams Rexing is over-hyped IMHO. Just goes with the "dashcam game" and they're not alone in that :(

Phil

Back