Are the latest lens' interchangable with earlier versions?

sofaspud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently had a Mobius with lens B fail, the symptoms were identical to those described here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/is-my-mobius-dead.7454/
It was running firmware V2.25 for several weeks prior to the failure. Tried all the reset/battery out etc as described in the link above to no avail.
So obviously thinking it was the lens I ordered a replacement (along with a complete unit with lens C).
The original cct board is printed with V6.2 dated 2013-10-31 & the new one V6.7 dated 2014-08-19

So, currently;
The camera still does not start up.
Have tried both the new B & C lens'.
Both new lens' work in the new camera.
As expected, the new camera shows the same symptoms when I plug in the old (failed) lens module so I think this confirms the old lens is US

The lens' supplied uses the same body as the new lens C & I find they are larger than the original, so
1. they don't fit the original case(the later case has been changed to suit)
2. the imaging unit has also changed, or rather the plate is now larger but uses smaller mounting screws, so obviously it has changed physically, but has it changed electrically/interface wise?
15805d0.jpg

Thinking it looks like my cct board may also be US, has anyone used these new bodied lens' with earlier camera cct boards?
The dates printed on the new lens' are 2014-12-04 & the old lens has 2013-08-02 & I see others appear to have swapped these with success, but was it using the new body versions?

Just trying to confirm stuff before buying more toys:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right about the 'C' lens module being very slightly larger that the previous modules. This means you will need a new case for the 'C' lens or you will have to remove about half a millimeter of plastic from the lens holder in the old case.
All lens modules will fit into the new case.
If your old motherboard doesn't work with your new lens modules then most likely a component on the old motherboard was 'blown' when the CMOS module hit the dust. I have never heard of this happening before, but anything is possible. The 'C' lens should work fine on older motherboards.

You are right about the 'C' lens module being very slightly larger that the previous modules. This means you will need a new case for the 'C' lens or you will have to remove about half a millimeter of plastic from the lens holder in the old case.
All lens modules will fit into the new case.
If your old motherboard doesn't work with your new lens modules then most likely a component on the old motherboard was 'blown' when the CMOS module hit the dust. I have never heard of this happening before, but anything is possible. The 'C' lens should work fine on older motherboards.

Thanks Iso,
I've had a chance today to take one of the 'boss-eyed' ones out of the car & confirmed these work with the new lens module. With an 'old' good lens module the suspect camera still doesn't work, so agree the mobo has bitten the dust as well:(.

I presume it will be, but do you know if all lens' supplied in future will be the new body, even the A lens?

I presume it will be, but do you know if all lens' supplied in future will be the new body, even the A lens?
Sorry, I don't have that information yet, but it would be a logical conclusion IMO.

Back