Are there any 2 channel dash cam with both lenses remote

motion detect may reduce the number of files recorded, it's not perfect either, too sensitive and it just keeps recording, not sensitive enough and it misses things it should have captured, damned if you do, damned if you don't

some people turn motion off and just use G-Sensor when parking, that also is a flawed method as plenty can happen without triggering a G-Sensor event

So the sure-fire way to record everything, every time that something of interest has happened, is to run all 4 dash cams continuously (i.e., as in literally 24/7) both while driving as well as while parked? Is that it?

So the sure-fire way to record everything, every time that something of interest has happened, is to run all 4 dash cams continuously (i.e., as in literally 24/7) both while driving as well as while parked? Is that it?

only way to be sure of capturing everything, that's full of other problems though and still not something I'd ever want to do

motion detect may reduce the number of files recorded, it's not perfect either, too sensitive and it just keeps recording, not sensitive enough and it misses things it should have captured, damned if you do, damned if you don't

some people turn motion off and just use G-Sensor when parking, that also is a flawed method as plenty can happen without triggering a G-Sensor event

I may be wrong (I am still a toddler at these dash cam things), and perhaps I am a sloooow learner :)mad:) but for what I have been to capture so far...The purpose of G sensor is to keep a continuous record of all acceleration and deceleration forces experienced in horizontal gradients (aka, "curves") as well as all vertical gradients (aka, "hills") making it part of the non-video data file (together with other parameters such as location/x-y coordinates, speed, date & time, etc.) and to lock the recorded video file associated with forces above a certain (and often settable and/or selectable) minimum value.

So, contrary to what appears to be common belief here at DCT by some members, the purpose of a G-sensor in a dash cam is not for recording when there is an accident (which, granted, does generate a G force and, supposedly, does save the corresponding video file), nor it is for recording as an alternative to a dash cam that does not have a parking mode option (which, exclusive of systems with a buffered motion detection parking mode, can only record only AFTER an impact has occurred anyway and therefore misses all the action leading to the impact) as another misconception has it.

Come back and read your posts, guys, and it appears that are still no good dual cam with remote DVR huh

I may be wrong (I am still a toddler at these dash cam things), and perhaps I am a sloooow learner :)mad:) but for what I have been to capture so far...The purpose of G sensor is to keep a continuous record of all acceleration and deceleration forces experienced in horizontal gradients (aka, "curves") as well as all vertical gradients (aka, "hills") making it part of the non-video data file (together with other parameters such as location/x-y coordinates, speed, date & time, etc.) and to lock the recorded video file associated with forces above a certain (and often settable and/or selectable) minimum value.

So, contrary to what appears to be common belief here at DCT by some members, the purpose of a G-sensor in a dash cam is not for recording when there is an accident (which, granted, does generate a G force and, supposedly, does save the corresponding video file), nor it is for recording as an alternative to a dash cam that does not have a parking mode option (which, exclusive of systems with a buffered motion detection parking mode, can only record only AFTER an impact has occurred anyway and therefore misses all the action leading to the impact) as another misconception has it.
Some dashcams do indeed log continuous data in all 3 axes (blacksys cf100 is one example) but not all do. I asked the viofo about this for both the a118 and a119 and was told that the sensor used is not precise enough to do that. It's basically just for recording spikes in any direction.

Hopefully before the end of the year we'll have the Street Guardian DR camera, which will finally fit the bill of what you want: 2x remote 1080p cameras with an independent recorder box.

Still none
Correct.
BUT ! if you are lucky you might be able to pick up a really nice X-mas present for yourself this year.
Several brands are working on dual remote cameras. which are pretty cool cuz personally i feel its the way to go with multi channel dashcams.

Whether by luck, or a fluke in my particular cam, my B1W has almost perfect G-sensor sensitivity. The act of me opening a door gently is enough to activate it, but winds don't. Bump the car walking by and it's recorded, lean gently on it and no recording. So anything which would damage the car gets recorded, false alarms are near zero, and only the worst bumps while driving set it off. Thus it can be done and it has been done, though I cannot say whether every cam of this model equals mine.

Motion detect doesn't seem to have advanced a lot, and I do not see how it can without using a program to analyze the video to not record clouds or birds, but to capture cars and people only. That would require lots of money and lots of power, neither of which fit in well with the dashcam market.

More to the point of this thread, truly good dual-remote cams are coming soon; the processor technology has advanced and now can handle the higher bitrates that good video requires. I would say that the threshold has just been reached as those still cannot do 2K on both channels, but they will do at least 1080p at 30fps which is considered acceptable on both channels. And some will be doing better than this with the front cam.

4 channel is an enigma. Those who really want it can use two 2-channel systems so the need is handled adequately though a bit clumsy. I run 4 single cams which if needed will require some effort to handle all the footage but it can be done. One must wonder what the cost of a 4 channel system would be and how many would sell at that very high price. If a premium cam manufacturer was making good profits on their other cams, they could develop this but probably wouldn't make a profit on it. It would be more of a showpiece to better get their name onto the market. And then there is the forward march of technology. Who would buy a $1500+ dashcam system knowing that in 3 or 4 years time it will be surpassed by better cams? Maybe a car manufacturer could do this but probably not an aftermarket cam manufacturer. But we are now seeing car manufacturers offering dashcams, so who knows what will happen?

I think we will see 2-channel cams fully matured in the next year or two. It has been a long time coming and I think those who do it well will profit greatly from their efforts, especially if they can do a good G-sensor or pre-buffered parking mode with them. That is what many have been wishing to see for many years, maybe now they won't have to be left wanting.

Phil

Correct.
BUT ! if you are lucky you might be able to pick up a really nice X-mas present for yourself this year.
Several brands are working on dual remote cameras. which are pretty cool cuz personally i feel its the way to go with multi channel dashcams.

@kamkar1 I am curious what barands are you talking about, could you please share a bit more details?

Last edited:
@cool_kuba if you prefix the user name with an '@' then @kamkar1 (or whoever you name) will get a notification and will know you asked a question.

Street guardian are the only one that have let the word of such a camera slip in here, but talking to industry insiders others are also working on such a setup.
So i cant name anyone but my estimate will be 4 - 5 models are in the making, and others will probably follow suit soon.

Which i think are pretty cool as remote cameras one or more really are the way to go as then open up for you to do what ever you want with the main box as you have no size restrictions worth mentioning.

So secretive!
It will be probably much more discreet and more difficult to steal. I just hope that price/quality ratio will be sensible.

Should match current dual cameras in price and performance.
And cameras should be the size of current rear cameras, so at least half the size of a regular 1 channel camera.

i just finished testing a dual channel 1080p dashcam (review coming soon on my website), but neither cameras are remote - both are in the main unit, and the rear/inside cam has IR LEDs - it's meant for taxi/uber/lyft drivers. both front and interior video are nice and sharp with plenty of detail, even at night. so the tech is there. we just need manufacturers to finish their testing.

i will say this - having both cameras built into the main unit is MUCH simpler to make because trying to run a 1080p signal over a long wire requires more work in terms of signal strength & noise rejection, and/or encoding/decoding (which requires compute power on BOTH ends) so doing a dual remote setup is more work and thus more expensive. but it's worth it. this dual channel taxi cam is NOT stealthy at all - quite the opposite. you can't put it up behind your mirror or the rear cam becomes useless, so by design it has to be out in the open, in plain sight. on one hand that's good as it makes it obvious that passengers are being recorded, but not so great for anti-theft while parked.

Nope the pipes have been pretty quiet lately.

I want a dual camera set up with a control/central unit , remote cameras. My set up now with 2 Mobius is fine. The Street Guardian DC is tempting but 2 wires back to the main unit , power & rear camera is hard to hide .New cars , here , have the collision radar unit behind the rear view mirror plus the toll road thingo which crowds out that area for a dashcam .

Back