Are there any dashcams that don't suck

sugargenius

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want a basic discreet single camera with a screen for under $200 that functions reliably. Reliability is the main consideration. I don't a unit that reboots or shutsdown randomly. I don't want a unit that I have to try 20 different SD cards to find one that works. I don't wan't a unit that I have to constantly update the f/w to fix bugs. I want a unit that I can just plugin and confidently expect it work. Does such a unit exist, yet?

I did a lot of research lately looking at cameras and here are the ones I narrowed my search down to in each category. Some are more than the $200 you want to spend though.

Do you want a screen?

1. Street Guardian
2. Garmin Dash Cam
3. Opia 2
4. A119 or A119S

No screen (wifi app to set camera and view videos)

1. Thinkware
2. Blackvue
3. Blacksys

Those were the ones I narrowed my search down to. Of course you also need to figure out if you want the ability to add a rear camera later, integrated GPS, red light camera alerts, parking mode ect.

I went with the Thinkware F800 and briefly had the Garmin Dash Cam 45.

Good luck in the search!

I did a lot of research lately looking at cameras and here are the ones I narrowed my search down to in each category. Some are more than the $200 you want to spend though.

Do you want a screen?

1. Street Guardian
2. Garmin Dash Cam
3. Opia 2
4. A119 or A119S

No screen (wifi app to set camera and view videos)

1. Thinkware
2. Blackvue
3. Blacksys

Those were the ones I narrowed my search down to. Of course you also need to figure out if you want the ability to add a rear camera later, integrated GPS, red light camera alerts, parking mode ect.

I went with the Thinkware F800 and briefly had the Garmin Dash Cam 45.

Good luck in the search!
Thanks!

Garmin, just keep it out of the direct sunlight

Street Guardian or A119/A119s will do the job. If you live in a hotter part of the US avoid any battery models and go with supercaps ;)

All cams require good cards to function well. Transcend 400X and Samsung EVO Plus seem to do well in almost every cam so that's what I use. Buy only from reputable sellers and test the cards for authenticity. One of my cheap cams cost the same as the 64GB card I run in it does today and I credit it's good performance as much to the card as the cam :cool: No cost-cutting with the cards!

Phil

I ordered the Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 bundle from Amazon. We'll see how it goes.

You ordered the right one. I have that SG and happy with it. I did a lot of research, and this is the one that's reliable, simple, and user friendly. And has a good back up policy.

I ordered the Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 bundle from Amazon. We'll see how it goes.

truth be told, if you do encounter a raft of problems as listed in your opening post, you'll get all the help you'll ever need in here anyway!

If I would have went with a unit that has a screen that (or the 2018 version) was a the top of my list followed by the Gamin Dash Cam 55.. I think you made a solid choice!

Back