Are there any polarising options for the 380 or any new cams coming out soon?

uktivo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 612GW
Hi. Well my Dashcam experience so far hasn't been great.
I purchased a Nextbase 612 - 4k camera and had issues with the camera picture / wobble... plus issues with Nextbase software not working correctly with the 4k file (this has been confirmed by Nextbase and it's something they are trying to figure out).

I decided to try two 380 cameras. I love the mounting of these cameras but the reflection from my screen is just so so bad. It's just not usable when there is any sun.

So, my questions..
1. Are there any options for polarising this camera? either from Nextbase or any other method..
2. If no, then are there any other nextbase units using this mounting options that do have polarisation in the pipe line?
3. If no to number 2. Then for a budget of up to 450 pounds. Whats the best 2 channel camera option out there that gives clear (Don't need 4k, 1080 at 60fps is more than enough), polarised lens?

Thanks in advance.

I agree that a polariser would be the icing on the cake but the lens is smaller than the 412 so the addon unit from the 412 doesn't fit.

I don't know if any other OEM does a smaller one that would fit.

Driving into the sun is going to be an issue for any camera. In my view though the screen mount and the ease of putting the cam on and off it far outweighs the peripheral brightness.

Maybe @NextBase Tiffany has a view.

I agree that a polariser would be the icing on the cake but the lens is smaller than the 412 so the addon unit from the 412 doesn't fit.

I don't know if any other OEM does a smaller one that would fit.

Driving into the sun is going to be an issue for any camera. In my view though the screen mount and the ease of putting the cam on and off it far outweighs the peripheral brightness.

Maybe @NextBase Tiffany has a view.
I do agree. I like the mounting option.
I've attached (hopefully) a few snap shots from last evening. This is normal for the capture I see.

Any recommendations for improvement?Screenshot_20180913-071006_Cam Viewer.jpgScreenshot_20180913-071119_Cam Viewer.jpgScreenshot_20180913-071222_Cam Viewer.jpgScreenshot_20180913-071247_Cam Viewer.jpg

You are getting more glass glare than I'm getting into the sun.

I've scoured my trip down to Eastbourne last week and this is the worst shot I can find. I've circled the sun as it's not that easy to see exactly where it is as the cam seems to have compensated slightly:

8OCYPCt.jpg

There isn't anything that we offer at the moment, I did 'make shift' one which worked but was unattractive.

What do the images look like when not pointing at the sun? Can you upload a screen shot so we can take a look?

There isn't anything that we offer at the moment, I did 'make shift' one which worked but was unattractive.

What do the images look like when not pointing at the sun? Can you upload a screen shot so we can take a look?
Tiffany.

The last shot is out of the direct sun. I get an enormous amount of reflection..

I've even consider using an old lens from a set of cheap sunglasses.. I would imagine it would work.

@NextBase Tiffany

Use any of the test clips in my Dropbox link. They are still there.

Those clips are from South to North so the sun was semi behind me.

Looking at those sample shots above I can see why they appear worse than mine, the camera can see the bonnet whereas my bonnet drops away so can't be seen.

Got it :) thank you.

Yes the glare is pretty substantial there in comparison to yours.

I've just measured the 380 lens surround and any filter would need to be 13mm (tiny).

Can't remember how big the 412 filter was.

Yes - I think we're just going to try with a 412GW filter.

Don't have anything 380GW specific yet :(

Sounds good.

Just need a step ring from 13mm to whatever size the 412 one is. Losing some wide angle wouldn't bother me. Might help hide some dash and A pillars.

But some peeps would complain bitterly if they had a tiny bit of vignetting from the filter K.
My 312 polariser fitted to my BlackVue does that a bit. Bit it's only the extreme corners, so who cares as long as it reduces the reflections dramatically.

Last edited:
The polariser, or polarizer for our US friends, made a significant difference on my old, now donated 412 and I have an idea what to expect.

The thing with all cameras is taking shots or movies directly into the sun is a big no no, even on top of the range £1k+ Nikons and Canons, etc. Even with a filter it's not going to be Stephen Spielberg.

With my current setup heading into the sun isn't perfect but would be useable if necessary.

I do have a project looming with a 412 filter. I'll see what I can do.

With respect .....

Do you think advertising your wares in another manufacturers bespoke area is a bit below the belt ?

Ah, the offending post has been removed.

My 380 polarising solution, courtesy of Tiffany:

Front view:

mOV8csC.jpg

Side view (hugely enlarged so looks worse than it really is):

Ch73s36.jpg

The red arrow points to the Nextbase supplied 412 polariser.
The blue arrow points to a fairly rigid rubber washer I had in stock. 25mm diameter, 12mm centre hole and about 2mm thick.
The green arrow is my amateur attempt at cutting a circular double sided VHB pad. The centre hole wasn't an issue as I have a 1/2" punch hole cutter.

I'm still within the 24hr 3M cure period but it's stuck quite firmly.

First test, just shooting out of the garage door whilst rotating the polariser is looking good. Once I get the car out into full daylight I'll get the twist ring set optimally then Tippex a small dot on the top so if it gets accidentally rotated, no problem.

Before rotating the filter (This was in very bright sunlight):

GFwmzFl.jpg

After:

nkJiOZW.jpg

Proper Job !

No vignetting K. Result.

Back