Are those lights legal?

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
Are those lights legal? I've never seen them like that before?

The lights were dazzling in the rear view mirror - it's like they were on high beam - and add to that he had hazards on as well...

Yellow lights are legal over here, but then all lights must be yellow, you cant have yellow daylight running lights and then white low and high beams.
Some actually use it too, i assume in a desperate bid to be a snowflake.

Not sure what those lights are, but the Highway code bans any lights that dazzle or cause discomfort, so the answer appears to be not legal :)

Highway code rule 114
You MUST NOT
  • use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

(I copied the bit about not keeping your foot on the footbrake after everyone has stopped just as a reminder to everyone!)

It was after sunrise, so they could be DRLs, and it is not clear to me what rules stop DRLs causing dazzle on dull days, except that they must be switched off after sunset by the driver.

The colour I think is fine, although it possibly depends on what they are, fog lights can be yellow:

Not sure if we have a law on white/yellow mismatch like Kamkar, but the MOT testers do like to fail lights on colour mismatch so there may be something somewhere.

Yeah lights must installed properly or they are illegal in the way you mention.
Lights here only get checked in the rare police raids where they flag down just about all traffic on a road for some hours, or at the bi annual inspections.
Even inside your car you cant put up like chains of RGB strips, or i think you can if they can not be seen from the outside, but also here they must not be a distraction to the driver,m so yet another Danish law up for interpretation instead of hammering it down with nails so there are nothing to debate.

I just despise ambiguous law giving , and sadly it is very normal here.
One of our current ministers, well a few years when he was a minister too ( aged 34 ) he had sex with a 15 yo girl at some political rally,,,,,,, this have not in the slightest way affected the guy,,,,, and i am like WHAT ?

Least no SMIDSY there, though bit of of overkill...

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Except many later cars with auto brake hold, keeps the brake lights on till auto release when moving off....

The dazzle was so much it left spots in my eyes...

Back