ASL boxes and traffic lights...

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
We'll ignore the 2 ASL boxes at the first 2 sets of lights altogether shall we? Oh, and for bonus points, we'll ignore the amber and red at the 3rd set of lights despite the distance from changing to actually travelling through them...

Getting confused here, so those cyclist marching areas at a intersection, so you can fill that up with cyclists and so pretty much block 2 lanes of car traffic, and that's okay ?
Cyclists don't belong in front of cars, cyclists belong alongside the curb ( if no dedicated path for them )

From my perspective it look as if someone that really wanted cyclists to die and be hated came up with that idea.

you will have to explain ASL boxes to me.

you will have to explain ASL boxes to me.
Since cyclists never stop for red lights, the boxes seem pointless to me!

If the traffic lights are on red, drivers (including motorcyclists and scooter riders) must not cross the first stop line - if they do they could liable to a £100 fixed penalty and three penalty points on their driving license. ... The offence is only committed when the vehicle enters the ASL box when the light is red.

If the lights change from green to amber as a driver (including motorcyclists and scooter riders) approaches but they cannot safely stop before the first stop line, they can cross the first line but must stop before the second stop line. In these circumstances it is not an offence to stop in the marked area.

Drivers (including motorcyclists and scooter riders) should avoid blocking/encroaching onto the marked area at other times e.g. when the junction is blocked.

Note that just because there's a car in the ASL box does not mean to say the driver has committed an offence. The offence is only committed when the vehicle enters the ASL box when the light is red. If the vehicle enters the box and the light changes to red, no offence is committed.

Cyclists must not cross the second stop line while the traffic signal is red. Contravening a traffic signal is against the law, and could result in a £50 fine.

Perfect logic- those who stop for a red but haven't entered the actual intersection get fined twice the cost of just running the red? o_O

Phil

Perfect logic- those who stop for a red but haven't entered the actual intersection get fined twice the cost of just running the red? o_O

Phil
I think the boxes must have been invented by hardcore cyclists! If I'm on bike then I don't use them, I follow the normal rules like everybody else. To enter the box as you are supposed to do, you have to suddenly appear in front of all the other vehicles when it is possible the lights are just changing and they are starting to accelerate, and some people accelerate quite fast when the lights change to green - seems like a huge increase in risk compared to doing what everybody expects and understands.

I noticed the Chinese have the same boxes but for mopeds, and they just seem to swam out of no where, and may or may not use those boxes after all.
I find it confusing you want to put something slow and soft in front of something hard and fast moving.
Here we have many bicycle paths for cyclists and 30 kmh mopeds + electric this and that now, and if there are no such path they are supposed to keep alongside the curb, acting like a motorcyclist on a bicycle and say use a left turn lane like they and cars do, well that's totally illegal.
First of all you would have to cross one or more lanes of cars to get out there to the left turn lane, and if you got out there you would be a soft "target" in a world of metal, and as you as a cyclist haven't really learned the traffic code, well then you are just gambling with your life.
We do have a traffic code for cyclists here, but you would be over reaching if you compared it to the traffic code for motorists.

Denmark before traffic code for cyclists,,,,, right of numbers cycling.

Back