Audio Quality

4POWELLS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to talk to myself in the car. I'll role-play conversations I have to have with my kids or go over presentations or just think out loud about ideas for work. I'd like to be able to save these ideas to disk as I would with any other on-road thing. That said, I rarely see audio quality discussed in reviews, but from watching reviews and side by side comparison videos, it does seem like some are much crisper cabin audio than others. Is there a consensus for brand or model which have top audio quality or is my use case just too uncommon? In addition to all of the normal features of a dashcam, I'd like to have an idea of how the audio quality will be before I purchase. Is there anything I can look out for to help guide me in the right direction? Something in the specifications which might help?

ETA; I did see a thread from just under 4 years ago addressing this and the Street Guardian seemed to be the winner. Does that hold true?

It is quite difficult to do a good audio test since the result is very dependent on the car, some cars are much quieter than others.

I did test the three current Viofo cameras in this post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-dashcam-4k-front-1080-rear.40094/post-479543

Not tested a Street Guardian, but since they use the same processor as the Viofo cameras they will be similar. I think Viofo use the better microphones, and the extended frequency range of the A129 Pro, which I think is due to it having the best microphone, in the above test is useful if you are having difficulty hearing voices.

Most dashcams have fairly poor sound, the cheaper cameras often have an 8KHz sample rate which results in very muffled voices hard to hear above the road and engine noise.

There is a recent Youtube review where the reviewer decided the A129 Pro microphone was good enough to do the whole review using it:

Most dashcams have microphones that will have no problem picking up audio in the car, in a way that you have on problem understanding what is said in the car when you see the recording.
BUT ! it is not going to be high fidelity of course.

Back