France
Dash Cam
A119
Hi all
audio recording quality is good?
no saturation ?

no saturation ?
Watch the video and determine what kind of sound it is.

no saturation ?
You need a seriously loud car to get any of the current Viofo cameras to saturate on the audio, the automatic volume control as a large range.
The first A199 Mini were a little quiet, good for noisier cars, not so good for recording quiet conversations in the rear seats, but I believe some modifications have been made to hardware/firmware, so they are now much the same as other Viofo dashcams. So yes, good audio quality, not quite at iPhone level, if you are making movies where you want great audio quality then get a dedicated audio recorder.

thx for reply,
the level seems low compared to a V3.
Indeed, I have a Mustang and the on another brand of dashcam the sound saturated.

I think the audio quality is better than the V3, and the currently produced versions are probably similar volume level.
They seem to have made some improvements to the amount of background noise since the V3, the latest camera I have has very low background noise, but I think that has a better SoC than the Mini. The background noise on my Mini isn't audible, but that may be due to lower volume.

It is a while since I have heard saturated audio from a Viofo, I think that was with an A129 Duo FHD, installed in a modified Mustang IIRC. The maximum volume has definitely improved since then.

ok thanks for your answers, I will order. :)

Hello Dash Fast,

I was sent a “production” A119 Mini for test & review on June 15, 2022. The low audio volume level was one of the first things I noticed, and reported it to my Viofo Representative. Viofo released a firmware update to increase the volume level, but it did not work. Later it was determined the microphone was the cause, and they decided to replace / upgrade the microphone with a different type / kind.

Another notable upgrade is they increased the size of the heat sink to dissipate more heat. Viofo refers to these A119 Mini’s with the new microphone, and bigger heat sink as “2nd batch”.

How are we supposed to tell the difference between a 1st batch, and 2nd batch?
I don’t know.

Here are 3 videos to demonstrate the audio quality
1.) The first video in my review of the A119 Mini, (just watch the first 10 seconds for the audio example.
2.) The second video is my review of the A229 Duo, (just watch the first 10 seconds for the audio example.
3.) The third video I mounted the A119 Mini to the rear window in my car, and discovered despite the low audio volume for picking up conversations, it is excellent at reproducing wind noise. Lol
-Chuck

Thank you for your answer,
Indeed, Viofo told me about the reception of a 2nd batch.
There is a big difference in listening between the A119 and A229, the latter is perfect. (y)

I just received the A119 Mini, its firmware is : V1.1.20220817.
Next step, the installation

Back