Audio recording started by itself

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Took a short trip yesterday and when I got home I viewed the dashcam video. Parked in a parking lot, left vehicle and after about 5 minutes or so the voice on dashcam said”starting audio recording”.
It recorded the rest of the trip unbeknownst to me until I returned and viewed the video. I could clearly hear it and I saw the “mic on” and then off in the bottom of video frame while I was nowhere near the near the vehicle.
I looked at the settings and it is off. Anyone know how and why this happened?

The proximity switch (on the end of the camera opposite from all the connectors) is supposed to sense you waving your hand near it. By default it turns on/off audio. You can set it to do a manual recording instead (that's how I have mine set).
"Something" caused the sensor to detect what it thought was a hand wave. These types of sensors can be sensitive to certain interference. It may have been a glitch. Normally it goes to parking mode after 5 minutes, so curious about the timing.
Keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

Brad.

Thank you micro. Went and checked settings and it was on auto on/off. Put it on manual. Pretty sure that was the problem.
There were a lot of moving vehicles in the parking lot, could of set it off.

Back