Aukey DR01 vs Mobius 1 vs SG9665GC

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
I have written my own review of the Aukey DR01 HERE. This is a comparison between two other dashcams I had setup in my car, a SG9665GCv2 and a Mobius 1.

The primary purpose of my comparison was to evaluate the DR01 before installing it in my partner's car, to replace the Mobius 1. However by the end of the comparison I came to a different conclusion. The DR01 is capable of very good image quality, but the conspicuous mounting style plus the vibration through the poor quality mount were too much of a compromise for me.

Therefore I'm returning the DR01, and I have installed the GC in my partner's car. That leaves me looking for a replacement primary camera, although the Mobius 1 is still a solid performer and will remain in my car no matter what else I purchase.

The wedge-shaped Aukey DR02 appears to have identical imaging hardware, so should produce the same quality recordings in a less conspicuous design that is less subject to vibrations. However at a current UK price of £70, twice what I paid for the DR01, the DR02 is up against some fairly stiff competition.

Last edited:
All cameras set to 1080p 30fps with WDR on.

DR01 (top) vs GC - daytime high contrast.

DR01 (top) vs GC - daytime overcast

DR01 (top) vs GC - night

DR01 (top left)
GC (top right)
Mobius 1 lens A (bottom left)
Mobius 1 lens D (bottom right)

Last edited:
Comparison video frames - all from 1080p 30fps with WDR on

DR01 vs GC - daytime high contrast
1_DR01.jpg
1_GC.jpg

DR01 vs GC - daytime overcast
2_DR01.jpg
2_GC.jpg

DR01 vs GC - blocking visible on DR01
3_DR01.jpg
3_GC.jpg

DR01 vs GC and M1 - daytime high contrast
4_DR01.jpg
4_GC.jpg
4_M1.jpg

Last edited:
DR01 vs GC and M1

Night scene 1
8_DR01.jpg
8_GC.jpg
8_M1.jpg

Night scene 2
9_DR01.jpg
9_GC.jpg
9_M1.jpg

Night scene 3 (no headlights)
7_DR01.jpg
7_GC.jpg
7_M1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work on the comparo. The cheap lil Aukey stood up well to the gorilla.

- set of 4 $52 “basic” cams with 2 year warranties + very good customer service
vs
- 1 $199 “advanced” cam with 1 year warranty + excellent customer service + continuous firmware updates

Are the marginal differences in picture quality and the other items worth the GC? Maybe for some. For me, not when I’d have to spend $800 for a similar set up.

I purchased my first laptop in 1995. It was an $8000 Toshiba Tecra with an active matrix TFT screen (that was all the rage back then) that essentially became outdated in less than 1 year. I replaced it two years later for another one at $5000. It too became outdated in less than 2 years. Then I started buying “cheap” laptops on Black Friday for <$500 every 2-3 years. It was much less painful to part with them when they too became expendable, particularly as they’d performed admirably.

I treat today’s cams the same way. Like laptops 20 years ago, this is a young and rapidly evolving technology. We’re seeing cams like this for $52. What will we see in a year or two with 4K cams? I don’t see the point in investing large sums in marginally better tech that will be outperformed by much lesser priced cams in a year’s time. I learned that expensive lesson long ago. YMMV.

I’ve already purchased my second DR-02, which, for all intents and purposes is the same as the DR-01 but with a better form factor that eliminates the concerns in the op.

Back