Aukey DR02D - anyone used motion detection?

Dashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First time poster. Bought my first dash cam the Aukey DR02D a few weeks ago and fitted it using the AUKEY Dash Cam Hard Wire Kit OBD2. The hard wire kit plugs straight into the OBD2 port so saves messing around with wires and fuses. Overall I am very happy with the video quality front and back but I cannot get the motion detection to work.

I was wondering if anyone out there was using motion detection on there camera and could share how it works? I have tried walking around the car, approaching the front and back on foot. Even tried driving another car to close proximity but still nothing. I have noticed that when the car is locked up and it is raining the camera records multiple video clips for as long as it keeps raining, so the camera is definitely getting power after ignition off. This makes me think it could be a vibration sensor rather than motion, maybe I will try kicking the tyres or striking the body panels to see if that is what the motion detector is looking for.

If anyone has any experience with this model please share.

Thanks

Parking monitoring "DR02D" is carried out by detecting a moving object or a time interval, and the on / off setting is required on the main unit in advance.

Can be viewed here: http://car-accessory-news.com/dr02/

I have "Motion Detection = On" in the menu settings but it still does not pickup any motion events. Thanks for the link to the page, it has some very useful information. From reading the page it looks like "Motion Detection" should be manually set On/Off every time you want to use it or drive normally. I was under the impression it could be left on and the camera would workout when it was needed or not.

It could have something to do with the Aukey hard wire kit which itself has an in-line motion detection sensor. I will see what others have to say about their experience with the motion detection / parking mode. Depending on how things go I may get my money back and put it towards a Blackvue.

Just to close this thread, the camera was removed and returned.

@Dashing........... I am thinking about buying this dual cam setup. There is not much news around with active users so I wanted your opinions on the overall performance.

I like the idea of an OBDII power supply and I have a spare power cable from a head up display so will use that while travelling but will use a large power bank for parking mode ( full time motion detect ).

Anyway, would you otherwise recommend the Aukey ?

Hombré, I found the video quality was really very good from both the front and back cameras. Number plates were clearly visible even on moving cars. There was a lot of glare from number plates at night but maybe that's the same with most cameras (it was my first camera so nothing to compare with).

I did not have any complaint about the video quality and for the price it's hard to beat with 1060p front and rear capture. My only gripe was the motion detection, which relies on an internal sensor rather than the cameras seeing motion. I learnt that you have to manually turn on Motion Detection each time you left the car otherwise, if left it on, the camera would randomly turn on and off whilst driving so losing footage. I had it setup with the OBD2 Hard Wire kit which has a low voltage cut off to save your battery. The hard wire kit also has it own "in-line" motion detector which must be placed near the top of your windscreen. The motion detection never worked for me with any degree of certainty, it also has no buffer. When it rained it recorded all the time but was not very good at picking up motion near the car. It could have something to do with having an in-line motion detector in the hard wire kit AND a sensor in the camera. You may have better luck using a hard wire kit other than the Aukey one, there are other OBD2 kits available.

If I did not want a better Motion/Parking Mode then this would be a perfect dual dash cam. I am looking at the BlackVue 750s which has a buffered parking mode but I have read that some users are not impressed with the video quality. I will probably get one and try it anyway to decide for myself.

[QUOTE=".[/QUOTE]

Hi HOMBRE,,,
I am new here, but it shouldn't matter....reading from the first post of yours on this cam...in the same shoes like you,,,,also want dash cam that would catch a car hitting my door while parked, and also lets say- capturing plates from oncoming traffic while driving - //when they go over on your lane head-on, when they recklessly overtake//
I was reading on amazon - seems like everybody had issues with the park mode detection. If AUKEY would resolve this, seems like it would be the best cam we can get for the value.
How do you find BLACVUE....though , i smirk over the price tag thoguh .......
thx

Hi everyone,

I bought this little camera and I can say am very satisfied. I tried its motion detection and I can say it works pretty well, catching mostly everything that moves either in front or the rear camera. Can't say anything about detecting water drops, but I would not be very happy if the camera wouldn't detect them.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I bought this little camera and I can say am very satisfied. I tried its motion detection and I can say it works pretty well, catching mostly everything that moves either in front or the rear camera. Can't say anything about detecting water drops, but I would not be very happy if the camera wouldn't detect them.

Cheers

thats great news,,becasue this is still the camera that I am seemingly going to get....When you put it on detection mode,,,did you run it on an extra battery?

Yes, I didn't buy a hardwire kit yet, so I thought I could just use my Anker Powercore powerbank (20000 mAh) for testing. In approximately 9 hours, the battery dropped less than 25% (it has 4 LEDs to measure the charge and when I checked, 3 LEDs were lit) so I could say it can hold about 30 hours, but this was only one camera because I didn't install the rear cam yet. I did the motion detection for rear camera at home, completely covering the front camera and waving my hand at the rear camera.
I now am considering buying the Cellink Neo for this.

Last edited:
Back