Aukey DR02J - Opinions please on video quality

JohnnyMnemonic

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo / Viofo A119 Pro
Hello all, I've been using an Aukey DR01 filming at 1080 30fps for a little over a yer now and have been pleased with the quality for the $49 I paid for the camera.

Because I was happy with it I decided to go for an upgrade and bought the new Aukey DR02J "4k" 24fps cam when Amazon had it for $70 a little while ago. From what I read the 4k naturally isn't true 4k and didn't expect it to be for the price. But research showed a native resolution for this camera to be the 1440 mode at 30fps.

Anyways, I used the cam for a while filming in 1440 30fps and wanted to get other peoples opinions if the quality of the footage I'm getting is in their opinion what is to be expected or not up to standards. To me, the image looks blurry from the center of the video and improves as you get further out to the edges. Most noticeable is plates seem to be blurry when centered in the video but seem clear only when on the edge in a lane other than the lane I am in.

Here is a 3 minute clip from the cam, I'd appreciate other peoples opinions. Thank You

The lens is out of focus. Send it back and ask for a new one. Or better still, buy an A119 or A119 Pro with better 1440p video.

I just received a DR02J yesterday. My initial testing shows that the video bitrates are rather low, so you are always going to get more compression artefacts than with other cameras.

Thank you very much for the fast reply Tony. Glad it isn't just me who felt something was off with the image. I can still get a full refund so I'll just send it back for the refund and use my DR01 until I decide on something else.

What are your thoughts of the Opia 2? I realize it is pricey but in your opinion does the added bitrate help the quality that much compared to other 1440 models out there?

Part of me has been wanting to hold out for the new 4k offering coming from Blackvue soon but another part of me says give that one some time even after release for them to work out all the kinks.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no experience of and Opia or Blackvue products. My general understanding is that Blackvue tend to use low bitrates for their products. Maybe you can find some original footage to view in the Opia forum to help make your decision?

It's funny because I've been researching the Vicocation Opia 2 the past few days and depending on the video, some looks utterly amazing and others just appear 'meh' and on par with other 1440 videos from other manufacturers. It seems the benefit to the Opia 2 is it records at a maximum of 25 MBPS.

Thanks for your time Tony, it is appreciated. I think I'll start researching the A119 Pro a little bit more and consider giving it a try based upon video quality.

Edit: Tony, if you have an opinion on it, is the CPL filter worth it on the A119? And do these filters in general need to be removed for night driving or can they be left on all the time, night and day. Thank you again

Last edited:
The A119 Pro has only just been released. The first units are arriving with testers right now. The A119 or A119S may be more suitable for your needs. Stick around on DCT for a while and read a few reviews before making your next dashcam purchase. The DR-01 you have is not a bad camera. It will serve you well until you decide on something better.

Lol, yes, I just learned this while reading more about the Pro while you were posting. :)

If you don't mind one more question about CPL filters. Can they be left on all the time, even during night driving, or is it something that really needs to be removed?

I've been reading this forum for far too long without an account so glad to finally be a part of it. You never need a dashcam until you need it and I needed it Christmas day so now it seems I'm always on the hunt for a better more improved camera, lol. The DR01 served me well when someone decided to back into my brand new 18' Escalade Christmas morning and drive off, no note no anything so I can't complain.

Glad to hear you had a camera when you needed one.

I have a CPL fitted permanently on my SG965GC (in my wife's car). I have one for my A119 and I'll probably fit it soon as I'm no longer driving to & from work in the dark. Then it will stay on all the time, unless I'm doing a comparison to another camera which I do quite a lot. However I do have a minimum of 2 forward-facing cameras at any time, so I don't mind if one of them has a CPL on permanently ;)

CPL can be left on with both the A119 and A119S, doesn't get overly dark, even in the rear.

Reactions: Mtz
Thank you both, appreciate it.

Seems the A119 Pro and the Aukey DR02J use the same sensor, the AR0521. Hopefully the A119 Pro records at higher video bitrates when the DR02J did in your testing Tony.

I actually had to send back an original DR02J I purchased because the microphone didn't work. Also, I felt the video quality wasn't really that great. Then the replacement I got sent had poorer video quality, as shown in my first post. Shame I got 2 bad cams back to back as I had such good luck with the DR01.

Seems the A119 Pro and the Aukey DR02J use the same sensor, the AR0521. Hopefully the A119 Pro records at higher video bitrates when the DR02J did in your testing Tony.
Yes, the A119 Pro and DR02 J have the same AR0521 sensor, and the same Novatek 96660 DSP
The A119 Pro records 1440p30 at about 24Mbps
The DR02 J records 1440p30 at about 18Mbps

I will compare them directly when my A119 Pro arrives

Yes, the A119 Pro and DR02 J have the same AR0521 sensor, and the same Novatek 96660 DSP

How big is say, a 3 minute 24Mbps file from the A119 Pro?

How big is say, a 3 minute 24Mbps file from the A119 Pro?
I downloaded one of Paul Iddon's A119 Pro 3min long 1440p files earlier today - it is 522MB

Thanks for the further info Tony. Funny you mentioned Paul in an above post, I had just asked him a question about one of his videos. I’m going to have to try downloading them as well. The quality was quite good from what I’ve seen so far.

I actually had to send back an original DR02J I purchased because the microphone didn't work. Also, I felt the video quality wasn't really that great. Then the replacement I got sent had poorer video quality, as shown in my first post. Shame I got 2 bad cams back to back as I had such good luck with the DR01.

I've posted a review of my DR02 J. Mine has a strange rattling noise. Between your two cameras and mine it's not looking good in terms of quality control from Aukey.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/review-aukey-dr02-j-4k-ar0521-nt96660.33574/

Agreed TonyM, they need better quality control. Their customer service is very good and I have to say my Aukey DR01 has not given me one problem in about 14 months of use now so I don't know what else to say other than they really do need to verify these units better before sending them out to the customer.

I do await your personal opinions and review of the A119 Pro down the road, Thank you Tony.

Because the 4K resolution is fake you should write this on Amazon feedback and in this way people to not be cheated by false specifications. No matter if you are using the fake 4K resolution or not.
For more info look at my signature.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back