Ausdom AD118 Modest overall performance in a somewhat nice package

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
After being pleasantly surpised with the Ausdom A261, I had my fingers crossed with the AD118, a lower spec, cheaper camera.

56b02595b898c.jpg

The claimed specs:

AUSDOM AD118 1080P full HD car DVR
Novatek NT96220 chipset
Designed with 5B3 CMOS sensor
6G heating resistant lens
F2.4 large aperture lens
2.0 inches high resolution LCD display screen
120 degree wide view angle
Wide-Dynamic Range (WDR) technology
Advanced H.264 photography compression technology
Supports 1080P full HD recording

As experienced with my previous Ausdom dash cam, the AD118 came packaged nicely, and the build quality seems a little better than most dash cams in this price range.

20160225_190836.jpg

It ships with two mounting methods, an adhesive backed mounting plate, as well as a decent suction cup.
Other stuff in the box, a multi-page manual, long USB power cord, and the 12v cigarette lighter/5v adapter.
The two mounting options are a minor plus for this cam.

When using the adhesive backed mounting plate, the cam is a bit more discrete than with the suction cup mount.

DSCF0262a.jpg

(AD118 with mounting plate next to a Mobius C)

The lens adjusts up/down with a knob, which has some resistance, but doesn't have the 'ratcheting' action like the A118/B40. (I doubt it will move on it's own, causing problems)
Like the A118, the upward movement of the lens is at it's limit on some more vertical windshields. (Big trucks)
Size comparison to the A118, the AD 118 is a little wider, but the body is much thinner.

Setup and functions are pretty typical of most dash cams.
I formatted a new card, set the time, and off we went.

Day video is good, night, average for this price range. (Not great)

Pricing is around $70 (US) via Amazon, or other suppliers. For that price, I'd consider some other cams, like the A118C, (With equally bad night video :) )

It's not a totally bad dash cam, and may serve the purposes of casual users. It's run without problems for two weeks in my truck. You can do worse in this price range.

I rarely use 'additional' features of dash cams. Motion detection on the AD118 is virtually worthless. I tried it for a few minutes, it just created a series of small files, endlessly, when there was no motion present.

Other dash cams to look at in this generic price range +/- : A118C, Mobius (C lens) Papago GS110.

1080 I think I saw somewhere that it only does 20-25 fps at 1080.
The detailed :) manual only specifies 30 fps at 720p.

OK, it vaguely lists 20fps at 1080p.

chipset is only 720p capable so will probably look better in 720p mode than using an interpolated resolution

Night video comparison between the AD118 and A261.

Some day video at 720P.

Overall, if you want some usage at night, I'd skip the AD118, and spend a little more for a cam with better night video.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old4570 Ausdom 0
pepo1 Ausdom 6
R Ausdom 0
B Ausdom 0
S Ausdom 16
Back