Auto-record and mass storage device at same time

The Masked Man

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a powered USB hub with a 1.5amp power adapter and am wondering if there is any way to enable auto-record when power is applied (hub power switched on) and have it show up as a mass storage device at the same time.

Basically, I'd like to simultaneous record and have the ability to access the other recordings that are already on the SD card. Is this doable?

No. When you connect the camera to a computer it will auto detect the data cable and go into mass storage and mount as a volume. Only when you power the camera from a separate USB power adapter (not a computer hub) can you record video without it automatically entering mass storage. It is either or.

The only option for recording when connected directly to your computer would be to use the camera as a web cam.

Edit: The above applies to every dash cam I am familiar with but it would be helpful if you identify which camera you have.

I am asking specifically about the Mobius camera. Is the ability to auto record / mass storage at the same time a hardware or firmware limitation?

Gee, I don't really know if it is firmware or hardware but it doesn't particularly matter. Like I've already said, the answer is no, you can't do it. Thanks for identifying your camera as a Mobius as this confirms for sure that you can't auto record and have it behave as a mass storage volume at the same time.

Edit: I'm not sure describing this as a "limitation" is accurate or reasonable. It is just the way such devices work.

Last edited:
I am asking specifically about the Mobius camera. Is the ability to auto record / mass storage at the same time a hardware or firmware limitation?

Firmware is irrelevant as the hardware can't support this, closest you'd get at the moment is some high end models that allow access to the files while recording but via wifi, still not mass storage

I have a powered USB hub with a 1.5amp power adapter and am wondering if there is any way to enable auto-record when power is applied (hub power switched on) and have it show up as a mass storage device at the same time.
Basically, I'd like to simultaneous record and have the ability to access the other recordings that are already on the SD card. Is this doable?
Firmware is irrelevant as the hardware can't support this, closest you'd get at the moment is some high end models that allow access to the files while recording but via wifi, still not mass storage
You posted the same question on RCGroups. Here's the reply I gave you:
"No. You can EITHER have the Mobius in camera mode OR have the Mobius in External Drive mode. You CANNOT have both at the same time. The DSP does not support multitasking as would be needed if you access files and record at the same time."

jokiin also gave you the correct reply and he's more familiar with what chips are available on the market than I am. Multitasking would need a much more powerful chip and is not something that's easy to implement - especially when recording HD.
Even if the hardware was capable of multitasking it would be much more difficult to write the firmware. During a recording session existing files could be deleted or renamed or even added. The whole file numbering scheme could go haywire if the firmware didn't constantly monitor the card contents. In addition, the hardware would have to support simultaneous read/write operations without corrupting or loosing data. There are tons of other 'problems' that would have to be dealt with, but the main problem is that there is an enormous amount of data being transferred during recording. The DSP in the Mobius can handle 1080p @ 30fps just fine but there's no way it could handle more than double the data throughput.

I posted in the RCGroups forum in error (and couldn't delete it), as I originally thought it was the official support thread. Thank you all for the details explanations. The reason I asked is I was wondering if I could schedule an automatic sync of the recorded videos at night. I understand now that this will not be possible.

Isoprop is correct, nt96650 has very a limited processing and on board memory.

You can still do it with a remote switch, remote on/off wiring to another laptop to do that..

These units are continually falling in price. I suspect you will spend much less time and energy getting one to record and another to watch.

As to auto record, I configured my Zetronix zBlackBox-500HD, Shadow GT680W and VIFO G9000 to record upon applying power. The G9000 can only do so with the provided charger. While the GT680W works fine from any Mini USB power, the provided charger has an inline 12-5V transformer and ferrite core electric Filter.

Of the three:
  • The 500HD with GPS is too costly by recent standards and lacks display. I use it because I have it. Input is 12V
  • The G9000 was mistakenly purchased without GPS. Works fine, but haven't used it much.
  • GT680W is the most recent and on my daily driver.
With every one of my units, documentation is lacking and a trial-and-error investment is needed before the desired settings are achieved.

Back