Auto record failure to start

alkizmo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The auto start function of my 0805 is finicky.

If I turn my key all the way to start the engine, the dashcam will boot up, but not record.

The LED will be red and blue (charging and idle) but not blinking (not recording).

Every minute or so, the camera will make a two tone sound (Dee doo). That sound is undocumented and isnt like any other sound (boot up, shut down or the thump sound heard when pressing a button).

I can't seem to get it to start recording manually either (nothing happens when I press the big power button). It will not auto shut down if I turn off the car. It will auto shut down only after the idle timer expires .

To get it to boot up and record correctly, I need to turn the key only to the point where the electronics are activated, then my camera will begin recording. After that, I can start the engine and go on my way.

Another problem is the GPS. When I reach a certain speed (somewhere above 20mph), the GPS reading will freeze. So my location isnt recorded nor is my speed.

FW is 20150513 V1.0. The camera is the GPS with no internal memory model.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
try another memory card

Okay, I have another card I can try, but I doubt it's a card problem. As I said, I can get the camera to record, but I need to boot it up before starting the car's engine.

As for the GPS data, it is being recorded to the memory card, but the coordinates are not changing, line by line of text of the same coordinate.

Hardware problem maybe, card is always the first thing to try

Alright, well since my problem description isn't "known", I will try another card, I will also try another power supply source.

At least the camera can record and when it does record, it isn't stopping mid-drive or whatever, it's just annoying to have to remember to not start the car's engine right off :oops:

In between my last post and today, the camera would eventually only record for 40 seconds and stop (using the old SD card) which made the situation worse.

I tried my other, bigger, SD card and the preliminary result is promising. The camera doesn't fail to start recording with the new SD card. I haven't checked if the GPS data is reliable yet.

It is odd though, the original SD card passed the write/read test used to check for faulty/fake SD cards. Also, the new SD card is the exact same model, except twice the capacity, maybe it has a faster read/write speed which is the key? Who knows, let's see if this lasts.

Back