Auto start/stop & idling issues?

SourceVG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I have new Viofo A129 Plus Duo installed in a Volvo S90 with a 2 wire hardwire kit tapped into ignition powered fuse (heated seats). Firmware version is latest V1.5. Now, this camera works OK most of the time but there are some moments where it acts up. Please offer me some advice or help if you can.

1. (ISSUE 1) I was on drive-thru line waiting and idling (engine auto start/stop was active) and noticed on multiple occasions when starting to move after being stopped the Dash camera would make three beeps and the screen would turn back on momentarily. What is this? The dashcam did not appear to ever turn off during this time as the red LED stayed on and the startup chime did not play. I don't think auto start/stop has anything to do with this specifically.

After looking on this forum I see people mention that with a 2 wire hardwire kit the dashcam will enter "parking/idle mode" when the GPS does not update for some time. This could possibly be what is happening, however, I have all settings for parking mode set OFF. It is my expectation with my install that as long as the camera has power, it will be recording. I don't want any parking mode. Is what I'm saying correct and is there a way to fix this? Maybe a possible firmware fix in future?

2. (ISSUE 2) Sometimes (maybe 5% of the time?) when I come to a stop with engine Auto start/stop enabled the dashcam will turn off/reboot/or turn off until engine comes back on. As I said this does not happen every time. Most of the time, it acts as it should and when engine shuts off for Auto start/stop the dash cam will continue to run as it should. I don't think this is the Volvo's doing. My suspicion is that engine stopping causes slight jitter in voltage and triggers dash cam to turn off momentarily. Maybe a 5V regulator or an added Bulk capacitor would help this issue? In meantime, I set my front video resolution to 1440p 30ps (instead of 60fps) to possibly create less power draw and maybe have more stability.

edit: It's also possible the hardwire kit (amazon link) itself is stopping power to A129 temporarily due to the 11.6V cutoff feature

Anyone have experience with these issues or offer any advice? Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
1) How long were you idled? If less than 5 minutes, then it won't be entering parking mode. If parking mode is off, then this shouldn't be it anyway. Did the engine stop at anytime while you were in the drive-thru? You may want to try another fuse for the red wire, as the chosen one could be dipping in power during certain times. Also, check out the link below.
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/signal-triggers/ign-3

2) Likely same issue as #1.

If your battery is in a low state of charge then there’s a good chance the cars power management is limiting power to comfort systems such as heated seats to preserve battery life, even more so when the engine has stopped on stop/start.

Back