Auto Updates via WiFi?

Gary

Reaction score
Country
United States
Techmoan mentioned in his video that the dashcam uses cell network via your cellphone to update. Do you have the option to download the updates to your cellphone using wifi and than update the dashcam? In other words, what if you don't have a cellphone dataplan?

Yes. It will work over Wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really don't want to use your cellular data, I suppose you can connect to the DDPai to check for firmware. If it determines that a new firmware is available, you can disconnect the DDPai and reconnect to your home WiFi to download it. Then reconnect your phone to the DDPai and it should install.

However, I just download the firmware directly via my cellular data. It is much simpler. The firmware is only around 25MB so it is very small. Maybe same as watching few music video, that's all. Not a concern unless your monthly cellular limit is really small.

I have some recent experience with this one actually!

I found out that since the app remembers your camera, you can check for firmware updates without even being connected to the camera at the time. Once the app confirms that you need an update it will download it to your phone and store it until the next time you open it while connected to your camera.

I hope that makes sense. Feel free to poke me if you have further questions.

I just downloaded the latest update to my iPhone yesterday. I've not installed it yet but it's on my phone waiting to be installed when I connect to the DDPai. If you go to Me,About you will see a New Firmware tab. Click on that and it will say "failed to connect" and it gives you the opportunity to retry just click retry and the update starts

Back