Auto-Vox D2 Review

DrekiTech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129
The footage from this camera is quite poor, and the chipset is GeneralPlus which is known to be unreliable. I wouldn't recommend this camera and I wouldn't even give it away to friends/family because I would be worried about early failure. Just in my couple days filming with the camera I already had a corrupted file in the middle of my recording.

Video review:
Daylight Footage:

autovox-d2-day-1.jpg autovox-d2-day-1.jpg autovox-d2-day-2.jpg
Night Footage:

autovox-d2-night-1.jpg autovox-d2-night-2.jpg
Tech Stuff:

Sensor: Unknown
Processor: GeneralPlus
Video Format: AVI / MJPG
Maximum Resolution: 1080p @ 30 FPS
**NOTE** Only records 24 frames per second. 6 frames are doubled to reach 30 FPS which results in stuttering. More frames are doubled at night and in low light.
**NOTE** 1080p is interpolated / upscaled from 720p.
Bitrate: ~21 Mb/s
File Size (3 min): 400 - 500 MB
Audio Format: Linear PCM
Audio Bitrate: 512 Kb/s (32.0 khz)

mediainfo.jpg

Last edited:
A note on nomenclature-

1080i should be the descriptive here, not 1080p. The"i" stands for interpolated. Good review otherwise :)

As with any sub-par cam they're going to try to make it look as good as possible by stretching the truth as much as they can get away with, so Caveat Emptor!

Phil

A note on nomenclature-

1080i should be the descriptive here, not 1080p. The"i" stands for interpolated. Good review otherwise :)

As with any sub-par cam they're going to try to make it look as good as possible by stretching the truth as much as they can get away with, so Caveat Emptor!

Phil

Hey Phil, thanks for the comment! I'm pretty sure that it still counts as "1080p" because the "i" is for "interlaced" which is a type of frame processing where even/odd lines are drawn alternatively, which would mean half the number of frames are used to create the video because only half the image updates per frame. It means half the frames, not half the resolution. I'm pretty sure it wasn't interlaced, just interpolated, because I didn't see any interlacing artifacts. Which would have made the video even worse.

It's crazy what marketing can do to sell a poor quality product.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're right- see what getting older does to the mind? :p The average consumer wouldn't know 1080 from 720 unless they'd seen it before which here in the US many haven't. They're still selling home security cams at 480 and people buy them because they're cheap; only afterward do they discover they're practically useless. People can still be sold 'snake oil' I guess!

Phil

Yes, it is GeneralPlus chipset, but this doesn't affect it will also be the top selling product on Amazon.

Yes, it is GeneralPlus chipset, but this doesn't affect it will also be the top selling product on Amazon.

their products become top selling on Amazon because of the way they do business, not because they have good products, unfortunately for the customers they can't know that

Back