Automatic download over home WiFi?

4kftw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been asked before. I'm wanting a non-cloud camera for privacy reasons. Not comfortable with my conversations and those of my passengers ending up on someone else's server.

Is there any software out there to automate the uploading new footage when I park at home and am connected to wifi? I have a Synology NAS with tons of capacity and would like to archive eveyrthing.

Whilst I care about having the footage, not enough to swap do manual routine work like rotating SD cards and doing manual transfers.

Thanks!

Looks like blackvue has an HTTP server so that's nice.

also found this on github

Oh ... it's been posted here too by the author @acolomba. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...recording-downloader-for-nas-or-docker.37981/

Was hoping to not spend the $$$ for the BV but that feature is killer.

Just to add to the mix also found this project

Whilst it has Tesla in the name it should work with any dashcams that support USB (if any exist?). It uses a RaspberryPI to emulate a USB drive. Pretty neat stuff.

Another option which is kinda out there might be an SD Card with Wifi. Then you could run a script that runs on the NAS to keep checking it. Might be a bit janky though.

Another option which is kinda out there might be an SD Card with Wifi. Then you could run a script that runs on the NAS to keep checking it. Might be a bit janky though.

You need to be careful about cameras that claim to have wifi. Usually that means they have a wifi access point built into the camera so you can access the files with a cell phone. Most wifi cameras will not connect to your home wifi.

I have to ask, why do you want this feature? This will be huge amounts of very boring video where nothing if interest happens. I only pull the memory cards out of my cameras when something of interest happens. This happens once every couple of months, and I only copy the 10s of minutes of video that include the actual event. I just can't see downloading hours of video that I know I will never watch.

I am not sure how practical or reliable this would be. Points to consider:
1. Wi-Fi connections that cameras use today are notoriously slow (Mostly 54Mbps half duplex) This means that to download a day's worth of footage could take hours.
2. The camera would have to be smart enough to keep itself on for the duration of upload (Implies some kind of parking cable connection)

I originally wrote my own software to download from my 750S, which does much the same as the various other packages that arrived later. When I pull into my driveway, my 750 connects to the home WiFi, the software recognizes that it's connected, and sucks down all new videos (with some deletion of old stuff). Works great. Camera is hard-wired with a power module that keeps it alive for 24 hours.

But yes, it's true that 99.9% of what's downloaded is a waste. I have a dedicated (non-backed-up) drive for the videos, and I generally don't look at much of it as a matter of routine.
It's true that you need a decently-large drive to download to, or plan on reviewing/purging often. I have a 2TB drive that'll hold about 4 months of recordings, but these days that's mostly parking files since I don't drive as much.
Yes, it's true that downloading is not fast. A minute (Front/Rear/data) takes about 15-20 seconds to download. Luckily, it's a background task so I don't care.

Having said that, when my 750S dies, I'll probably be demanding the same functionality in its replacement. Futzing with pulling SD cards isn't something I'm willing to tolerate. :)

Back