Automatic OFF for Parking Mode When At Home -- Why is it so hard to implement?

crosis

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Exploring dashcams and noticing every maker doesnt support an ability to turn off parking mode recording when at home. I mean if the unit can connect to a specific WiFi or recognizes it within a GPS location is it so difficult to then issue to turn off command to go to sleep until the car is started up? Why drain the car battery or reduce the life of the SD Card when the vehicle is within a trusted location like my garage? And manually having to turn on/off the unit is not an option -- Dashcams should be a set it and forget it watch dog.

I bet the first guy who does it will then have every maker releasing their patch within 24 hrs. <roll eyes>

I think the Viofo A139 has an experimental geofencing feature where it won't go into parking mode if it's in the geofence, but I think it has a set radius of 1km which is not useful for me.

I have thought about building something like the power magic pro with something like a raspberry pi pico w, you could possibly build a "smart" parking mode controller. I just wish I had some free time to look into it.

I've had this in the BlackVue wish list for a long time.

How freaking hard can it be for a programmer to tweak the firmware to see that it's connected to a specific SSID and turn off parking mode?!

</sarcasm> In the category of crap we don't need and won't ever use, though, the X models have voice call capability now... <\sarcasm>

Back