Automatic parking mode adjustable frame rate...

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
unfortunately Techmoan down played the ability of dashcams to provide parking security that I find one of the most useful features of a dashcam and its kind of been all down hill in this department ever since !!!!

The gt680w ( very underated picture quality/performance ) does provide a 5 frames per second but unfortunately it has to be manually switched to it....

Surely some firmware writer/ manufacturer can produce a camera capable of 1080 30fpm that switches to an adjustable low parking fpm user decided on parking of a vehicle....

The g sensor is about as useless as it comes in the event of a theft , vandalism, shopping trolly bang or slight ding from another vehicle as much as people rely on it and like to believe it works !

I prefer it to lower the bitrate rather than the frame rate, if my mini 0806 would automatically switch from the 2560x1080 5 hour / 64GB mode into the 2560x1080 2.5 days per 64GB mode when parked then it would be almost perfect. With variable bitrates being part of the mpeg specification it could even switch back and forth mid video segment and do it instantly on a G-Sensor detection without causing any issues for recording or playback. Unfortunately I have to switch it manually.

Proper automatic parking security mode adds double of value to standard dashcamera. Some time people dont understand why one dashcam cost 100usd and other ( with almost similar HW and performance ) cost 200 usd. The last one has proper parking mode and this add double of price. Of course there are many other factors that adds to the price, but my idea was to explain "hidden value" which many people dont understand on the first place.
I wish Panorama X2 main unit would be smaller in size ( more discrete ), other than that it has option in the menu to select lower bit-rate and lower resolution for parking mode. I keep in parking mode lowest bit-rate, which helps to record more footage before card fills up. I think in parking mode 5-6Mbps bit-rate would be enough.

Proper automatic parking security mode adds double of value to standard dashcamera. Some time people dont understand why one dashcam cost 100usd and other ( with almost similar HW and performance ) cost 200 usd. The last one has proper parking mode and this add double of price. Of course there are many other factors that adds to the price, but my idea was to explain "hidden value" which many people dont understand on the first place.
I wish Panorama X2 main unit would be smaller in size ( more discrete ), other than that it has option in the menu to select lower bit-rate and lower resolution for parking mode. I keep in parking mode lowest bit-rate, which helps to record more footage before card fills up. I think in parking mode 5-6Mbps bit-rate would be enough.

Why would you want to drop the bit rate (quality) knowing you are leaving yourself wide open to useless nigh time footage if I understood bit rate correctly...

Dropping the frame rate to 5fps still gives the quality ( have driven with that setting and still capture all number plates same ) but extends a 32g SD card to just over 24 hours instead of 5 or bellow at 30 fps.......

Why would you want to drop the bit rate (quality) knowing you are leaving yourself wide open to useless nigh time footage if I understood bit rate correctly...

Dropping the frame rate to 5fps still gives the quality ( have driven with that setting and still capture all number plates same ) but extends a 32g SD card to just over 24 hours instead of 5 or bellow at 30 fps.......
While car is parked ( mostly at residential area and shopping- or other centres ), other cars around move with lower speed than on standard roads or highway. To have a clear details reading at lower objects moving speed need still high FPS but bit-rate can be lowered.
If compare high fps with low Mbps vs low fps with high bit-rate, you get more details reading from first combination.

Back