Automatic power + switch for manual power

Discussion in 'General Dash Cam Discussion' started by ArmoredCavalry, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Street Guardian USA

Street Guardian USA Well-Known Member Retailer

United States
    Dash Cam:
    StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
    Hmm that was from 2 years ago. I've done bench testing with manual voltage control and haven't experienced that.

2. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

United States
    OK, sounds like maybe it was an older hardware revision, or that particular person's setup then, who knows.

In your bench testing, what happened when you immediately raised the "battery" voltage directly after a shutoff? The multisafer just stayed off then?

I would hope there would be some kind of latch where the device would just stay off until it receives voltage from ACC line in again (e.g. car is turned on)

3. Street Guardian USA

United States
    Dash Cam:
    When I get a chance I'll record a similar detailed video to the Vico-power on page 1

ArmoredCavalry likes this.
  4. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

United States
    Cool, much appreciated, thanks for the help/info!

5. petepete

petepete Well-Known Member

United Kingdom

NOT such a good idea..

when you flick your switch on the power will fire around and switch any ancillary stuff on that happens to be connected to your ACC circuit ...

6. Tdjee

Tdjee New Member

Netherlands
    I used a 12,2v Battery Protector, 2 bypass (one continous power and one contact power) + a on/on switch, Total cost €20,-

From the bypass with contact power + to the switch. From the bypass with continous power + to the other side of the switch. The two + coming from the switch ,combined together, to the + of the Battery Protector. The ground of the batteryprotector to the chassis. And from the batteryprotector there is a USB cabel with Mini B to the dashcam.

Switch to the left, the camera Powers on and of with the car.
    Switch to the right, when car is shut down, and the cam goes into parkingmode with continous power protected till 12,2 volt.

I think its the most easy and cheapest solution.

7. SawMaster

SawMaster Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius, G1W-S, G1W-HC, WR-1, G1W clone, and more to come!
    Welcome to DCT Tdjee :) Yes, switching like that may work but with almost all switches there's a short time when switching where nothing is connected, and that momentary lapse of power might cause anomalous operation. Relays generally work a lot faster and would be less prone to that issue which is why they are generally used for power-switching circuits instead of a direct switch.

If a switch works reliably for you then there's nothing wrong it, although that could change with a different cam or different PS ;)

Phil

8. Giant_JunK

Giant_JunK New Member

United States
    So how would I hook it up so if the car was off, I can flip a switch and make the camera come on? Or make the camera stay on when the car is shut off. Here in the USA the police often tell you to turn your car off when they pull you over. This way you cant suddenly speed away AND it makes your camera shut down so you arent recording them. Most police are fine but some can be real Nazi's. And hell, even the good ones tend to go full Nazi if you happen to exercise your 5th amendment rights (self incrimination protection) by not answering their questions. Its sad really but thats what its come to here.

The bottom line is if you dont record it it didnt happen. Because its you word against the police and they ALWAYS give the police the benifit of the doubt. No matter how bruised and bloody you are. LOL. Not even joking. The cops can beat the snot out of you for no reason and just say you resisted arrest. You become a criminal...... Unless you can produce video that shows otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  9. SawMaster

SawMaster Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius, G1W-S, G1W-HC, WR-1, G1W clone, and more to come!
    Get a SPDT type toggle switch. There will be 3 terminals on the bottom. Normal 12V switched power goes to one end terminal, 12V unswitched power goes to the other end terminal, and the center terminal feeds the cam's PS. You will need to fuse the circuit where it picks up power on both switched and unswitched wires. (2 fuses)

Currently some of my cams are on a manually switched circuit. I have to turn them on and off via the one switch but it's an easy habit to get into, No problems so far but were I to forget and leave them on for more than a day I might end up with a dead battery since I'm not using a BDP.

You never know what you'll get from Cops anymore here, but don't expect anything decent as you won't likely get that :( Just play their game and save the legal challenges for the Courtroom :whistle:

Phil

10. Giant_JunK

Giant_JunK New Member

United States
    Thank you for the reply Phil. Yea I am a good guy so I never have any issues and I never expect to have any. Haven't been pulled over in like 15 years. Im just have a prepared mind-set. Plus my kids are getting close to driving age so I better get this tech down pat before then. For me its like my seat belt, fire extinguisher and carrying a sidearm. I dont expect an accident, fire or getting robbed. But I have them all JUST IN CASE!!

Now back to the topic at hand. I was also planning on getting a Cellink Battery. How does this SPDT swicth play into that? No different? Or does it now have to go between the Cellink and the cam?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. country_hick

country_hick Well-Known Member

United States
    I found this online. This approach to hiding the wiring resulted in a very clean install.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2903432

I recently saw a thread on someone wanting to install a dash cam and thought i would share my hardwire with you all.

My Hardwire includes using the plug that came with the camera and only costs an additional ~$4 to wire in cleanly.
    In this hardwire, I used the G1W-C dash camera with a 32 GB sd card. totaled out to ~$80 with expedited shipping

12. Street Guardian USA

United States
    Dash Cam:
    There are some similar options on Amazon too. Search for Marine 12V Outlet

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B003EET3XY

[​IMG]