Automatic recording and continuous file

FeatherDash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there,
I have kind of a unique application and looking for a combination of a dashcam and an action camera. I have access to the camera being powered full time but operationally will be active for an hour if connected to a battery. I am looking for something that could potentially do these things -
- Automatically records when power is applied or camera turned on with battery. Can also be an input (like speed) but this is a must. Unfortunately no access to wifi or bluetooth
- Continuous file for editing ease (its okay if the file size is large). This seems to be hard when looking at dash cam options, so anything that has a long recording length (like 5 mins+) I could also consider
- Equivalent camera quality of a GoPro Black 7 (4K60, Wide FOV), but this is flexible
Thanks!

You will not find any dashcam that are comparable in image quality to one of the newer action cameras, and you only get 4K/30 on the few current true dashcams.
All dashcams will split files up, normally the choices for segment size are : 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 10 min ( personally i have always favored 3 minutes )
"Editing ease" This dont really matter you just toss the XXX files into any editor, then throw them on the time line one after another, and then output it all as one large file, maybe do some tweaks to it all first, text / color correction ASO
All dashcams start to record with power on the car and turn off when you turn off your car.
If you want the camera to record after key off, you need a hard wire kit that will enable that and give discharge protection so your dashcam can not discharge below a set voltage ( keep above 12.2 V at least )
Some cameras also have a build in timer for parking mode, i use this ( 1 hour ) myself with the new SG9663DR camera i have been given to beat on, on that camera you can set the timer as far as 24 hours.

I have just made a video about how i mix tree 3 minute segments up to one 9 minute file using my current video editing software.

This particular camera i mix footage from are a 3 channel system but i just use the "F" Front camera footage here, and then i use my software's feature to analyze the original files as i want to keep the original recording parameters, but i could have downscale to 1080p or upscale to 4K, that would just add a little to the time it take my computer to process it all.

As you can see when i select the files i do so from behind, but after importing into my software they are all aligned up ( by the file name i assume ) so i just have to drop the 3 files one after another to the time line, i am not sure if i could just highlight all 3 of the files and drop them as one to the time line, that might actually also be a option in the software i use.

Last edited:
Back