Autonomous Uber kill vehicle (Dash Cam)

I'm curious what kind of vehicle crashed into the barrier a week before the fatal Tesla collision... Could it have been another Tesla?

http://abc7news.com/automotive/excl...rrier-before-tesla-driver-died-there/3280399/

Eleven days before the Tesla crash, 10:30 at night:
  • 31-year-old James Barboza of Hayward slammed his 2010 Prius into the safety barrier at 70 miles per hour.
  • He survived with just lacerations to his face, and complaints of pain to his head, face, back, arms, and legs.
  • He was allegedly arrested for driving under the influence.

Preliminary Report:

As expected? :
The data also showed that all aspects of the self-driving system were operating normally at the time of the crash, and that there were no faults or diagnostic messages.

Volvo had fitted an autonomous emergency braking system that would have prevented the accident, but Uber had disabled it, presumably because their self driving system never gets into situations that might need emergency braking?
According to data obtained from the self-driving system, the system first registered radar and LIDAR observations of the pedestrian about 6 seconds before impact, when the vehicle was traveling at 43 mph. As the vehicle and pedestrian paths converged, the self-driving system software classified the pedestrian as an unknown object, as a vehicle, and then as a bicycle with varying expectations of future travel path. At 1.3 seconds before impact, the self-driving system determined that an emergency braking maneuver was needed to mitigate a collision. According to Uber, emergency braking maneuvers are not enabled while the vehicle is under computer control, to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior. The vehicle operator is relied on to intervene and take action. The system is not designed to alert the operator.

The driver was doing her job, which requires that she doesn't look at the road at all times!
the vehicle operator stated that she had been monitoring the self-driving system interface. The operator further stated that although her personal and business phones were in the vehicle, neither was in use until after the crash, when she called 911.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY18MH010-prelim.aspx

Yeah, Uber needs to review the policy as a solo driver can't be attentive to the diagnostic display and adequately respond to emergency traffic conditions at the same time. Human reaction time is just too slow when the focus is shifted away from the road. They're basically forcing the driver to text and drive!

"According to Uber, the developmental self-driving system relies on an attentive operator to intervene if the system fails to perform appropriately during testing. In addition, the operator is responsible for monitoring diagnostic messages that appear on an interface in the center stack of the vehicle dash and tagging events of interest for subsequent review."

KuoH

Preliminary Report:

As expected? :

They're saying "working as intended."
That does not inspire me with confidence.

The only positive thought I have is that if we flooded the streets with these vehicles, maybe pedestrians and cyclists would finally stop being such fools.

Sent from my V10 using Tapatalk

They're saying "working as intended."
That does not inspire me with confidence.

The only positive thought I have is that if we flooded the streets with these vehicles, maybe pedestrians and cyclists would finally stop being such fools.

Sent from my V10 using Tapatalk
Given the toxicology report, it seems more likely that the result would be that all the drug addicts would be killed off! Unfortunately it would probably take out a lot of children too.

I don't understand why they think it is acceptable to turn off the emergency braking system and then rely on a human who is busy having to use computer displays and responding to information messages. The excuse is "to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior", but surly if the vehicle is behaving erratically then it is not fit to be on the road and the emergency braking system is even more important.

I'm also wondering why it didn't slow down when it saw a potential obstacle, instead of doing nothing until emergency braking was necessary and then still doing nothing.

At 1.3 seconds before impact, the self-driving system determined that an emergency braking maneuver was needed to mitigate a collision.

At 43 mph, even though I have brand new brakes on my car, I couldn't stop in 1.3 seconds, so even if the emergency braking was enabled it would still have failed. I could however have steered around the cyclist... It didn't need the brakes, why didn't it steer?

Uber said:
(...) the operator is responsible for monitoring diagnostic messages that appear on an interface in the center stack of the vehicle dash (...)
Uber said:
(...) emergency braking maneuvers are not enabled while the vehicle is under computer control, to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior. The vehicle operator is relied on to intervene and take action. The system is not designed to alert the operator.
Yeah...

Back