Average Lifespan in Parking Mode?

Stang70Fastback

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Finally got a dashcam for my car (Thinkware F770 w/ Rear Camera.) I currently have the camera hardwired to the fuse box (stop lights, and cigarette lighter fuses). I am fully aware of options such as Cellink Battery B, etc... with regards to powering the camera in parking mode, however I am not interested in adding one of those for various reasons.

Having said that, can someone give me a ballpark estimate as to what I should expect to be able to get out of the camera without completely draining my car battery? The camera has options for 6/12/24/48 hours of auto-shutoff, along with a voltage shutoff.

I currently have it set to 6 hours, or 12.3V, in order to be conservative. I have no interest at all in walking out to a dead battery. (The car is a BRZ, so it doesn't have the BIGGEST battery - and it's still OEM at the moment.) I realize all dashcams have different power draws (and this one using two cameras, it will draw even more) but can someone give me an idea on the order of: "No matter what, you should be able to get at LEAST 24 hours out of it..." or what their personal experiences are? I could test it out, since it has the voltage cutoff, but I'd like to know a starting point based on others' experiences. Thanks!

There’s a lot of factors: battery size/age, commute time, alternator health, video bitrate, etc. but here’s my experience. My 25 minute commute to work will let my two separate cameras (SG and A119) run for approximately 8-9 hours with my voltage cutoff set to 11.9v. this is with both cameras running on motion detect. This is also with one of the cameras facing a wall so there’s no motion to detect except for passing headlights.

All depends on health of your car battery and how many hours you driver per day. If you do have short runs, then car battery will not be able to fully recharge which will worn out car battery much quicker.
If you know how much power your F770 draws then you will be able to calculate how long it can last before low voltage value kick in, - all depends how healthy is your car battery.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
USDashCamera Dash Cam Discussion 21
Back