AXIS F41 Forensic Capture

Is this top quality?

• Total voters

synoptic12

Reaction score
Country
United States
:rolleyes:After researching various DVR dash camera's, we have found a plethora of issues regarding limitations. However there have been some recent chip sets that produce some fine video.

Now comes the newest technology Forensic capture incorporating WDR technology, also known as HDR. The main body of the system is entirely separate of the four sensors available. Somewhat pricey, but for those seeking the best quality, this is the unit for an auto car. We'll include some links and provide a video.

Any, and all input would truly be appreciated.

1. http://www.retailsolutionsonline.com/doc/axis-introduces-modular-mini-superb-image-detail-0001

2. http://gadgetstouse.com/news/axis-camera-series/21741

(Video Link)

Last edited:
Sorry, tried editing the vote poll as to either Yes, or No. Could not find a way to do so.

Looks nice, but to me it really depends on the price more than anything...

Given that the sensors are around the same size as a Mini 0803, and probably bigger once they have a mount attached, the only advantage I see is the convenience of having all the video can be recorded on a single card. However, as an accident camera I would hope that I wont need to access the video footage very often so having it in separate places isn't a big issue and having it safely stored in separate cameras gives less chance of loosing the lot due to a failure in some part of the system. On top of that the Mini 0803 has higher resolution.

Axis have been making great IP cameras for years, I can think of places I might have used this device in the past had it existed then.

Looks nice, but to me it really depends on the price more than anything...

Base Module- Around $459.00 U.S. dollars

Sensor: Around $250.00 ea. U.S. dollars

Given that the sensors are around the same size as a Mini 0803, and probably bigger once they have a mount attached, the only advantage I see is the convenience of having all the video can be recorded on a single card. However, as an accident camera I would hope that I wont need to access the video footage very often so having it in separate places isn't a big issue and having it safely stored in separate cameras gives less chance of loosing the lot due to a failure in some part of the system. On top of that the Mini 0803 has higher resolution.

Axis have been making great IP cameras for years, I can think of places I might have used this device in the past had it existed then.

Have you seen the 'forensic capture',? Do you believe that the Mini 0803 surpasses forensic?

Have you seen the 'forensic capture',? Do you believe that the Mini 0803 surpasses forensic?
Good question,

Axis said:
*WDR – Forensic Capture optimizes video for forensic purposes by enabling an extremely high level of detail to be visible in both dark and bright areas of a scene.

Assuming that "Forensic Capture" is the same as WDR then the Mini 0803 has the same thing, they likely use the same sensor components, or at least the same generation so I would guess that neither surpasses the other, although the Mini 0803 does have higher resolution!

In the image below from the Mini 0803, I have the sun at the top (very bright) and a plate in dark shadow on the car, click on the plate and it is easily readable - seems to match the Axis description of "WDR – Forensic Capture" quite well, although I have to admit that I can't make out any sunspots on the sun :D

Sun2.jpg

Well, try not to look at any sun spots. The "key" factor I noticed with the AXIS is that there was 'no' distortion. I recently viewed one camera from Russia that exhibited no distortion as well, 'shocked'. I can't remember the model, but it is relatively new. This is a first for me, seeing a dash cam that displays no distortion. Still believe that nothing more than 120 is of any benefit, other than to acquire a wider angle. Then, 'fisheye' comes into play. The Axis seems to be a very versatile unit, whereas the sensors can be placed anywhere. Do you believe that dash cams may move down this road in the days ahead (separate body) and sensors, OR is this cost prohibitive?

Switching gears briefly, would you know if the GPS on the Mini 0803 can be deactivated, or disabled?

P.S. - I've seen a great many comparisons with dash cams, and those who have three attached to their windscreen, for purposes of demonstration. Each are trying to portray the clarity, and or differences. However, not any make mention that all the cameras (3) mounted are in different positions on the windscreen. This would certainly affect the quality and focal points, would they not?

Do you believe that dash cams may move down this road in the days ahead (separate body) and sensors, OR is this cost prohibitive??
It's an easy concept to sell so I imagine it will be a bit like dual dashcams at present, everyone new to dashcams wants one since it is obviously a good idea but the experts say they are all rubbish and advise against! Costs will drop, the problem is the wiring, you have to at least get power to the sensors which for most people is beyond their own capabilities and paying for an install is too expensive an investment since most of the benefit goes to their insurance company, not them. Of course the insurance companies aren't going to be that interested either since it wont reduce the number or cost of accidents so an insurance company only benefits if it can sign up a higher proportion than the average insurance company of owners of working dashcams.

Switching gears briefly, would you know if the GPS on the Mini 0803 can be deactivated, or disabled??
I believe there is a menu option to turn it off, never used it though.

P.S. - I've seen a great many comparisons with dash cams, and those who have three attached to their windscreen, for purposes of demonstration. Each are trying to portray the clarity, and or differences. However, not any make mention that all the cameras (3) mounted are in different positions on the windscreen. This would certainly affect the quality and focal points, would they not?
I'm not sure, I suspect the differences due to position are negligible, but a wide angle lens is looking through the curved laminated glass of the windscreen at quite a high angle at the edges of the image, getting a well focused image of the outside must be affected to some extent... The tests should be done with the cameras mounted outside?

It's an easy concept to sell so I imagine it will be a bit like dual dashcams at present, everyone new to dashcams wants one since it is obviously a good idea but the experts say they are all rubbish and advise against! Costs will drop, the problem is the wiring, you have to at least get power to the sensors which for most people is beyond their own capabilities and paying for an install is too expensive an investment since most of the benefit goes to their insurance company, not them. Of course the insurance companies aren't going to be that interested either since it wont reduce the number or cost of accidents so an insurance company only benefits if it can sign up a higher proportion than the average insurance company of owners of working dashcams.

I believe there is a menu option to turn it off, never used it though.

I'm not sure, I suspect the differences due to position are negligible, but a wide angle lens is looking through the curved laminated glass of the windscreen at quite a high angle at the edges of the image, getting a well focused image of the outside must be affected to some extent... The tests should be done with the cameras mounted outside?

1. Agree somewhat, but installs are easy for me. There is more to a dash cam than presenting accident scenes which is why I'm installing. Do not wish to go into specifics.

2. So, would the menu have the GPS option, regardless if the unit was supplied with a GPS? Point being, if the Mini 0803 has a GPS bracket, can you turn off the GPS?

3. Granted, you may be correct referring to a wide angle lens having a negative effect with the glass.

A.) Seeing that you may be experienced, does it make "any" difference as to where the camera is mounted on the windscreen i.e. > 'Higher' or 'Lower'? Are there any advantages, or disadvantages, if the camera is placed; let's say ten inches below the header panel (top), OR four inches below header panel (top). Also, does centering the camera (center of windscreen) have any advantages, othern than being symmetrical? It would be understandable that if the camera is off center, it would capture more of one side than the other (right to left)? Same instance in height, "Does height affect the angle, and if so, which way?
Thank you for the very useful information.

I do not see any added quality of the footage itself. Sure, the HDR function handles sunlight (and any back lights) quite well, and night footage is bright.

But to really compare the quality, we need to shoot video with the competing dashcams, side by side. Same trip, same conditions.

1. Agree somewhat, but installs are easy for me. There is more to a dash cam than presenting accident scenes which is why I'm installing. Do not wish to go into specifics.

2. So, would the menu have the GPS option, regardless if the unit was supplied with a GPS? Point being, if the Mini 0803 has a GPS bracket, can you turn off the GPS?

3. Granted, you may be correct referring to a wide angle lens having a negative effect with the glass.

A.) Seeing that you may be experienced, does it make "any" difference as to where the camera is mounted on the windscreen i.e. > 'Higher' or 'Lower'? Are there any advantages, or disadvantages, if the camera is placed; let's say ten inches below the header panel (top), OR four inches below header panel (top). Also, does centering the camera (center of windscreen) have any advantages, othern than being symmetrical? It would be understandable that if the camera is off center, it would capture more of one side than the other (right to left)? Same instance in height, "Does height affect the angle, and if so, which way?
Thank you for the very useful information.
1. Yes, but for most people it is only the single front facing camera that is of any interest other than in incidents.

2. I believe the menu option to turn GPS off disappears if there is no GPS.

A. To avoid the camera mainly looking up towards the sky, you want it near the top rather than at the bottom.
You want it within the area swept by the wipers, either so that it isn't looking through rain, or so that it isn't looking through squashed flies!
In many countries it is illegal for it to obstruct the drivers view thus it should be outside the area swept by the wipers.
In some countries it is illegal to have a video monitor visible to the driver thus it should be hidden from view.

So the best place by far is hidden behind the rear view mirror.

Thought I posted the link, but apparently not. What do you think of the forensic? Do you notice any "distortion"?
I do not see any added quality of the footage itself. Sure, the HDR function handles sunlight (and any back lights) quite well, and night footage is bright.

But to really compare the quality, we need to shoot video with the competing dashcams, side by side. Same trip, same conditions.

Possibly, but having a separate body alleviates all issues which surround a dash cam, namely heat dissipation. The Axis is a very versatile unit consisting of separate sensors. More quality can be emphasized on the lens, and quality thereof. This, in itself makes for a more stable system. The 'Key', "No Distortion".

Possibly, but having a separate body alleviates all issues which surround a dash cam, namely heat dissipation. The Axis is a very versatile unit consisting of separate sensors. More quality can be emphasized on the lens, and quality thereof. This, in itself makes for a more stable system. The 'Key', "No Distortion".
But what is the real difference between an Axis sensor and a Mini 0803, apart from price?

Answer: The Mini 0803 writes it's datastream to an SD card while the Axis sensor writes it's datastream to a cable. They will both do all the same processing or the datastream wouldn't fit either on the card or down the cable, thus they will both generate about the same amount of heat, maybe that is why the Axis sensors appear to be no smaller than the Mini 0803 - they both need to dissipate the same amount of heat without getting too hot thus both need about the same surface area.

As for the no distortion, I bet the Axis sensor is a little fuzzy in the corners, just like my stills camera which also has no distortion due to firmware correction of the distorted image produced by the wide angle lens.

I like some have dynamic FPS, that would be good for parking mode in dashcams.

Seems overpriced. Axis is of course a golden standard of surveillance cameras but there are other options. Hikvision, Dahua are high quality products often with more features and lower prices.

Back