AZDOME M550

Continuing on from my discussion on the Drekitech review.
A second base has failed on one of my Azdome M550's yesterday.
I had purchased 3 of these cameras to be used in 3 of my four cars.
It was only a mild summers day 26deg Celsius and generally overcast.
Car was a bit warm on the inside which is to be expected but the second camera base has failed, which is very concerning.
I haven't received the replacement for my first failure yet.

I'm not sure, when I detached and returned the camera from and back to the base after it didn't turn on it sort of felt like it didn't snap back normally with the magnets like usual. I wonder if the base socket is suffering some warpage or softening in the heat.

Received replacement base for first failure today.
When pretesting new base, I discovered that when removing power cord from the 2nd failed base that the camera momentarily fired up. A bit more wiggling etc it appears that the mini USB port appears to be failing, most likely in the heat.
Checked this on the first base and found if I applied a fair amount of side pressure to plug it also fired up.
I also found that the 2nd base was missing 4 assembly screws which are hidden under mounting tape. So much for quality control...
Not sure where I am going to go with this now...

I tried compressing the mini USB socket to gain more contact pressure. Initially it worked ok, Unfortunately it only worked until the next hot day. Base failed again and would not power camera...

Can this camera set it's own time from gps?

Yes, but does not appear to be programmed to account for local daylight saving periods

Another base failure.
First warmish day of our delayed summer in Victoria, Australia. LaNina weather has kept things unusually cloudy and cool. Temp was about 26degC car parked in sun. Mazda 3. Base frazzled - camera will no longer power up when using this base.
I have 3 of these cameras. One is in drawer as we sold car it was installed in and have not refit to new car due to base failures on the Mazda...
The other installation is in a seldom used car that normally sits in garage out of the sun.
I've had 1 base replaced under warranty. I had purchased extra base and rear camera as I was going to swap 1 camera between 2 different vehicles.
I would strongly advise against this camera now based on my experience. I've spent/wasted nearly $600 on 3 cameras.

Back