B124x + 900s - any way to shut the camera of power feed based on the known location or network?

isakhnov

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have b124x feeding 900s-2ch and this results in a reasonably short battery depletion (around 10 hours in a detection mode and 16 hours in the lapse mode). This results in a fully drained battery after the weekends and I wonder if there is any way of getting either camera or power feed from the battery shut off based on either GPS or known WiFi/BT?

Sure.. a simple old fashioned sign posted on the inside of your garage door would do it.

Sure.. a simple old fashioned sign posted on the inside of your garage door would do it.

What a brilliant solution! Silly me, I was thinking about building with arduino if no known APIs are expose, while there is such a Nobel prize worthy approach...

:) You were not getting any.. ideas. It is an interesting question/problem though, and “probably” possible if you had the resources of say the military to design something. There are clever folk on this forum though so here is hoping that a “silly” response will bring on more dialog.

I am currently in the process of wiring up a few switches to turn off my dashcams (my cellink b has a switch but it's quite difficult to reach) but this thought has crossed my mind, because on some occasions I have forgot to turn off the cellink when not needed.

The main issue with this is whatever is checking for wifi / bt / gps will need power it self, and depending on how the dashcam / battery is switched on/off, there may be a power requirement there as well. I think some car gps trackers have outputs so you could potentially engineer something that way.

Also I always thought a raspberry pi / arduino would use too much power although by turning off various bits of the hardware some people have managed to get some really low power draws.

I was thinking about arduion with a wifi shield and two latching relays, one for switching the power to arduino between 124x USB and car power and another to switch off 124x to camera. Need to do more thinking here :)

I actually started looking up ardinio wifi shields and latching relays after I made that post :D

I have a spare Pi Zero W laying around (was meant to be used in another project I never got round to) which would be another good candidate

The b124x having usb outputs is a nice advantage (y)

@joe384 - great to hear! Do share the progress if you manage to get to it. I do not project getting my hands dirty for at least 1-2 months given other priorities

Same here! I will post anything I find if I ever get to it.

I do think it is perhaps too complex to rely on though. Much better to have a sign or reminder at home so you remember to switch off the cams/battery manually

Or you keep it simple browith a power switch. I just bought 2 dr900s 2ch for a good price one set for my car one for my mothers installed my 750s into my brothers car along with a cellink neo6 he parks his car in his garage during the night. I bought a sigarette socket extension cable and made simple powerswitch to it so he can disable the dashcam when hes parked in the garage so his cellink neo6 wont drain during the night so he has a full battery when hes off to work or for shopping. It works great

I like your gps/wifi project. Such solutions are great. Maybe blackvue should also consider implementering such a feature in there firmwares. Its quite douable if they want. The bv already gives its location and you can already set your garage in the wifi settings. Just a button in the settings that you can check would do the trick

Back