B1W as a stand-alone rear dash cam - blinking light

Conanf

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

Looking at a Blueskysea B1W Dashcam as a stand-alone rear camera. I prefer to not use dual dash cams due to difficulties routing wiring all the way to the back (but already have power there). The B-W seems to fit the bill—it’s decent, fairly cheap now, And is low-profile camera without a screen. However, all the info I can find says this camera has a blinking red light when recording. Anyone know if this can be toggled or disabled in newer firmware? I would rather have solid when recording and blinking if there’s an issue. I can see blinking would be very distracting in the rear-view mirror. I don’t mind solid as I can put some white electrical tape over it to dim it a bit, but if it’s blinking I’d go with black tape (and not necessarily know if there’s an recording issue).

Before going with dual channel cams I too used a single cam in back. My general experience with blinking LEDs in view is after a couple of days your brain just tunes them out and you're not aware of them - even more so if it's in the RVM.

If the B1W suits your needs in all other respects go for it. The worse that will happen is you end up with a piece of tape on the camera.

I also wouldn't rely on an LED to tell if there's a problem - regular checking of the videos is the only reliable way.

My general experience with blinking LEDs in view is after a couple of days your brain just tunes them out and you're not aware of them - even more so if it's in the RVM.
Same here. My wife didn't realise the B1W that I installed in her car had a flashing red LED until I asked if it was bothering her. Then again, I am someone who notices things that flash, buzz, flicker etc and they really annoy me, whereas she tunes those things out much more easily.

Same here. My wife didn't realise the B1W that I installed in her car had a flashing red LED until I asked if it was bothering her. Then again, I am someone who notices things that flash, buzz, flicker etc and they really annoy me, whereas she tunes those things out much more easily.
I’m definitely a person who would notice a blinking light in the rear-view mirror; if I go with the B1W I will go the tape route. The point about having to check the recordings periodically as opposed to depending on a light for status as the other poster noted is well taken; one of the reasons I’m going to go independent for the rear camera is to have some independence and redundancy from the front camera so some footage is available even if one camera is malfunctioning, in case of an incident.

...to have some independence and redundancy from the front camera....
When I used single channel cams front and rear I used the same cameras (A118C or SG 'GC' series) for that very reason. If the front camera failed I had an 'on board' replacement.

Hello,

Looking at a Blueskysea B1W Dashcam as a stand-alone rear camera. I prefer to not use dual dash cams due to difficulties routing wiring all the way to the back (but already have power there). The B-W seems to fit the bill—it’s decent, fairly cheap now, And is low-profile camera without a screen. However, all the info I can find says this camera has a blinking red light when recording. Anyone know if this can be toggled or disabled in newer firmware? I would rather have solid when recording and blinking if there’s an issue. I can see blinking would be very distracting in the rear-view mirror. I don’t mind solid as I can put some white electrical tape over it to dim it a bit, but if it’s blinking I’d go with black tape (and not necessarily know if there’s an recording issue).
put some electrical tape ofer the light and it has voice notifications to alert you if somethings wrong so keep an ear out

Back