B1W - engine start question

ASC

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello everybody,

I use a B1W dashcam at the rear of my car. I'm very happy with this camera.

I would like to know if your camera has the same behavior when you start the engine. I explain here below :

- before to start the engine, I turn the key up to "Ignition ON" - all the electrical equipment can be operated, all dashboard lights turn on;
- the B1W starts also;
- to start the engine, I put the key for few fractions of second in the "start engine" position. At this time, there is a very very short power disconnection and the B1W is stopping;
- when the engine starts, the B1W starts again.

So, what I want to say is at every engine start, the B1W starts twice. I do not know if this is normal or is a problem with the camera.

I have a Viofo A119 (also with capacitors), but it does not switch on/off/on when I start the engine.

Thanks !

Attachments

• engine_key.gif
    engine_key.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 5
  • main-qimg-d14ac35e64a4db53f806ebd48250441d-c.jpg
    main-qimg-d14ac35e64a4db53f806ebd48250441d-c.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 6
hello Jokiin, thanks for your quick reply.

ok, there is not a problem for me as long as this restart will not affect the product life.

the camera is ok, I filmed for long periods of time, no problems.

it won't hurt the card or the camera, the A119 has a display, GPS, different chipset/sensor etc so the power handling is a bit different, not really comparable, if it is working fine I wouldn't worry about it

This is an issue for people who turn their engines off when waiting for traffic lights (legal requirement in some countries) because it takes several seconds to start recording again - at the time that you are most likely to be hit by a red light runner it is not recording.

On my car I have it hardwired to the electric window fuse, that doesn't turn off while restarting the engine, it turns off when you open the door.

No, the START/STOP function does not restart the camera and I don't turn OFF the engine when waiting for traffic lights :).

I have this start and restart of the camera only when I start the engine from rest condition (key outside the contact).

Back