B1W interfering with GPS in car

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed my 2 B1Ws (mounted on the rear quarter side windows) interfere with my cars built in GPS
I am running Wifi Off with both powered off a powerbank.

Has anyone else had this issue? I will try some ferrite beads soon.

estore009

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
B1W/B2W/Mini0906/DV688/B1M
Not sure if the ferrite beads will work. But suggest that you route the power adapter cable far away from the GPS antenna.

OP
J

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The usb powerbank is in my boot, and the cables come up and go to the rear side windows. The cables are ravpower ones, they seem quite high quality.
I have tried disconnecting one, the GPS fails no matter which one is running (left or right)
No GPS or Wifi on any other devices on the car, both B1W are running Wifi default off firmware.

After a bit of searching I think there might be one of these in the boot:

OP
J

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just one B1W running takes out all GPS in the car, even the mini 0906 GPS light starts flashing.
Running from power bank or cig lighter makes no difference.
I am going to move the cameras around and see if they affect the GPS. If they go anywhere else they become useless as side cameras though.
I will have a dig around for ferrite beads, it's worth a try.

OP
J

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok the B1w's interferes with my GPS wherever they are. I had them on my back seat (basically the center of the car) and they still caused issues.
Tried different usb cables, didn't make any difference.

I managed to salvage a ferrite bead from another cable, I snapped this on with one loop. The GPS is now much better!

I have a GPS status screen in my car, normally it shows 8-11 satellites. When I turned both cams on I would lose all GPS.
With the ferrite bead on one, GPS goes from 8 satellites down to 6.

So I think with ferrite beads on both cams this should solve the issue.

OP
J

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I got a set of 3mm beads initially, they were way too small.

I then got some 5mm ones from the same seller, these fit better but did not make any difference even with 3 at one end and 2 at the other.

I have now returned the 5mm ones. The bigger beads are obviously thicker so I am thinking of trying 7mm now or try a range of sizes from a different seller :confused:

The test bead was a TDK branded one. I have found someone that sells TDK branded ones on ebay, I'll order a couple, if they work then I'll order some more

Last edited: