B1W interfering with GPS in car

joe384

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x DR590W-2CH, Cellink B
I've noticed my 2 B1Ws (mounted on the rear quarter side windows) interfere with my cars built in GPS
I am running Wifi Off with both powered off a powerbank.

Has anyone else had this issue? I will try some ferrite beads soon.

Not sure if the ferrite beads will work. But suggest that you route the power adapter cable far away from the GPS antenna.

The usb powerbank is in my boot, and the cables come up and go to the rear side windows. The cables are ravpower ones, they seem quite high quality.
I have tried disconnecting one, the GPS fails no matter which one is running (left or right)
No GPS or Wifi on any other devices on the car, both B1W are running Wifi default off firmware.

After a bit of searching I think there might be one of these in the boot:

Just one B1W running takes out all GPS in the car, even the mini 0906 GPS light starts flashing.
Running from power bank or cig lighter makes no difference.
I am going to move the cameras around and see if they affect the GPS. If they go anywhere else they become useless as side cameras though.
I will have a dig around for ferrite beads, it's worth a try.

Ok the B1w's interferes with my GPS wherever they are. I had them on my back seat (basically the center of the car) and they still caused issues.
Tried different usb cables, didn't make any difference.

I managed to salvage a ferrite bead from another cable, I snapped this on with one loop. The GPS is now much better!

I have a GPS status screen in my car, normally it shows 8-11 satellites. When I turned both cams on I would lose all GPS.
With the ferrite bead on one, GPS goes from 8 satellites down to 6.

So I think with ferrite beads on both cams this should solve the issue.

Hmm, I got a set of 3mm beads initially, they were way too small.

I then got some 5mm ones from the same seller, these fit better but did not make any difference even with 3 at one end and 2 at the other.

I have now returned the 5mm ones. The bigger beads are obviously thicker so I am thinking of trying 7mm now or try a range of sizes from a different seller :confused:

The test bead was a TDK branded one. I have found someone that sells TDK branded ones on ebay, I'll order a couple, if they work then I'll order some more

Last edited:
7mm TDK beads didn't make any difference.

Out of frustration I tried the original TDK test one again (9mm)

It didn't work. I'm now completly baffled. The car is parked in the same position as last time. Everything is the same except the weather.
Only the satnav and dashcam are switched on.

Not sure what to do now!

Not sure what I can do now really, maybe take the cam apart and put some shielding inside? Seems too much effort and I don't know what would work or even how to go about it.

Maybe just try the dashcam lottery again? :whistle:

Seems strange that you are having issues when others are not, might be worth checking if there is an issue with your GPS antenna...

Do other GPS devices like your phone have an issue when you power the B1Ws?

Presumably your GPS antenna is above your powerbank? in which case it might be worth checking that it is properly grounded. Maybe try putting a bead on that cable!

The 0906 GPS and a129 GPS seem to co-exist ok with the cars GPS

I seem to remember the GPS light on the 0906 would flash when I had the b1w's switched on, I need to test some more though. I don't normally have the GPS on my phone but I can try that.

A relative has the same model of car with satnav (head unit is slightly different but it's basically the same system) it will be interesting to see if that is affected in the same way.

I typically have the powerbank in the boot but it doesn't make much difference where I move it.

I'm not sure how the GPS is setup in this car but maybe it's worth looking at the problem as if there is something wrong with the car.

Give it a try with your mini0906 USB car charger!

I know the GPS problem also.

I think I have already tested it with the 0906 power cable, it is exactly the same style cable I got with the b1w's.

I have tried 2 phones while sat inside the car, engine and ignition off. The GPS on the phones is not affected.
On one I loaded a GPS test, it was still able to see at least 10 satellites even when I held it next to the dashcam

I think the 0906 has a GPS test screen, I will try this as well.

The results for the GPS screen on the mini 0906...

Both b1w on I get 2 red bars on the 0906 and the GPS light flashes.
I disconnected one B1W and started driving home. The test screen showed 3-4 bars, sometimes they would go yellow or green, gps light still flashing.
After 10 mins the GPS light stopped flashing (may have got a lock)
I then pulled over and disconnected the remaining b1w, the GPS test went up to 8-10 bars and the GPS light would stop flashing.
GPS on the 0906 was fine the rest of the journey.

So the b1w kills the GPS on the 0906.

What is interesting is the viofo a129 and the 0906 co-exist quite happily sitting a few inches from my cars GPS (the GPS module is behind the rear view mirror apparently) it's only the b1w dashcams (either of them) that cause problems.

I've also just tested my brother's b1w (this is probably a year older and running different firmware). This also blocks out the cars GPS.

I then tested my b1w with another car (same model as mine mk7 ford fiesta, with factory sat nav) and it blocks out the GPS on that car as well!

It is starting to look like an incompatibility between this particular dashcam and my model of car. I still have a few more things I can try though...

Last edited:
@joe384
What kind of power does the B1W receive - from a standard adapter? Did you check its work when you connected only one Power Bank? Maybe the B1W power adapter is interfering?
And when checking Wi-Fi in B1W was turned ON?

I've mainly been using a powerbank with 2 USB outputs to power the 2 b1w cameras.

The cables are ravpower USB cables. I have tried with an anker usb cable as well.

I have tried with the included cigarette lighter adapter to power one camera but it still interferes.

I have just had a thought, I could try powering from the hardwire kit (its actually the one blueskysea sell) and also try my anker powerbank

Wifi has always been OFF but I guess I could try with it on!

WiFi on/off makes no difference.

Using the hardwire kit, I still get interference

Using the supplied cigarette lighter I still get interference.

Used an anker power bank + ravpower usb cable to power, still get interference.

Adding all the ferrite beads, still interference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M B1W 16
Back