B1W Slow start

mreric

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got a B1w. it seem that it take just over 12 seconds to start recording. anyway to speed this up?

I have been long time user of G1W. it takes about 2-3 second to start recording. this is a huge difference in time .

any help would be appreciated. anyone know how i can contact the manufacturer to complaint about this ? maybe they can release a new firmware.

Last edited:
I am here,and you can tag me for help!
Just tell me which memory card you used for this camera?

I am here,and you can tag me for help!
Just tell me which memory card you used for this camera?

hi, thank you for the quick reply. i am using a sandisk 32gb. the same one i used to used with my old camera.

i wonder if the firmware with wifi default to be off is any faster.

i dont want to waste the time to change the firmware if there is no difference. anyone tried this?

some of the Korean cameras take around 45 seconds before they start recording

i work in the insurance industry... those would are precious time. i am looking for one that start 2-3 seconds after i start the car.. my old G1W can do it. i am sure a even more simple camera should be able to do it too.

I just got a B1w. it seem that it take just over 12 seconds to start recording. anyway to speed this up?

I have been long time user of G1W. it takes about 2-3 second to start recording. this is a huge difference in time .

any help would be appreciated. anyone know how i can contact the manufacturer to complaint about this ? maybe they can release a new firmware.
12 seconds is normal, nothing wrong with it.

A little quicker than the same amount of time it will take the oil to spread around your engine, ready for you to put it under some stress!

Make sure that it is getting power from somewhere that doesn't turn off while waiting at a red light or when you restart the engine when you get a green light though, otherwise even 2-3 seconds is far too long...

hi, thank you for the quick reply. i am using a sandisk 32gb. the same one i used to used with my old camera.

i wonder if the firmware with wifi default to be off is any faster.

i dont want to waste the time to change the firmware if there is no difference. anyone tried this?
I had a test with 3 Sandisk brand cards which comes with different silicon wafer,and find this camera takes the most seconds to starts recording with Ultra red color version.And if the same case as your Sandisk card, we suggest that you change it with a White color Ultra card,or other brands--Transcend High Endurance line and Samsung High Endurance card!

I had a test with 3 Sandisk brand cards which comes with different silicon wafer,and find this camera takes the most seconds to starts recording with Ultra red color version.And if the same case as your Sandisk card, we suggest that you change it with a White color Ultra card,or other brands--Transcend High Endurance line and Samsung High Endurance card!
How much time difference did you get from using a different card?

Not serious test in car,just have a simple test on my desk,and it might be 3 seconds gap !

I use the sandisk high endurance card it does take a few seconds to start up but its normal operation. Besides you are not suppose to start you car and go, you need to give your car a chance to warm up the oil a bit, even on hot days and build up pressure. You are doing more damage to you car if you dont.

Use a hardwire kit with battery drain protection (cuts off power if battery gets below a certain voltage so you don't risk not being able to start your car), and you wont have to worry about startup time, such as this one: https://amzn.to/2HAUaE5

I use the sandisk high endurance card it does take a few seconds to start up but its normal operation. Besides you are not suppose to start you car and go, you need to give your car a chance to warm up the oil a bit, even on hot days and build up pressure. You are doing more damage to you car if you dont.

i am not say that is not good practice. you should wait a bit before driving off. you are very right. the line of work that i do as an insurance adjuster over the last 10 years tells me that you want that dash camera to start as fast as possible . my old camera was a 2-3 seconds. trust me you want it as fast as possible.

our complaints is what going to make things better, for the next camera to be better and faster.

by the way. i just tested the firmware without wifi by default. this starts recording at 8-9 seconds. vs 12 seconds. same memory card. formatted with the camera. make sense. as it takes time to start the wifi. vs not having to start the wifi

so if you want to shave off a few second i think for now, until they release a faster firmware or a different version of the camera this is the way to shave off a few seconds.

I dont know if i would invest in a high endurance card to test if i can shave off a few more seconds.

can someone test this?

no wifi firmware + high endurance card= how may second to start recording?

Following Toy71Camero's idea .... One of the easiest points to pick up power for a dash cam's hard wire kit is the dome light on most newer vehicles. If your dome light has a Off / Auto / On switch integrated then you know you have constant power there to accommodate the On position. Some vehicles have a feature that keeps you from leaving the vehicle with the dome lights in the manual ON position just to come back the next day to a dead battery. This feature commonly uses a delay so after a certain amount of minutes that the keys are out and vehicle seat belt sensors sees no one is in the vehicle it will turn off that normal constant power feed to the dome light. Power is restored when you return and the door is opened or maybe even as soon as it gets a remote signal to unlock the doors. So based on how the dome light works in your vehicle - this may be the ideal place to pick up power via a hard wire kit for you. Your dome light / hard wire kit will continue to provide power to the dash cam for X amount of minutes after you have exited and you will be recording during that time. As soon as you open or possibly unlock your door with the remote - you will be starting that 12 second countdown towards recording again. The way to test if your dome light "with switch" will provide this is simply turn your dome light to the manual ON position then exit vehicle and lock door. Watch what your dome light does.

I forgot to add ..... I bench tested a couple of B1W's with both SanDisk Ultra C10 U1 as well as a SanDisk Extreme Pro C10 U3 32GB cards. I found no difference in Power up to recording times. This is with WiFi on. I did not know if it actually started recording when the voice prompt stated or when the LED started flashing. To see when they actually started recording I began a verbal count out as soon as power was supplied then checked the playback. I found they started recording roughly 2 seconds after the voice prompt when the led started blinking.

Following Toy71Camero's idea .... One of the easiest points to pick up power for a dash cam's hard wire kit is the dome light on most newer vehicles. If your dome light has a Off / Auto / On switch integrated then you know you have constant power there to accommodate the On position. ...
Not on my car, the "dome" light has an integrated off/auto/on switch, but only two wires going to the light module with power controlled by the central computer, even worse it has a PWM lamp dimming/fade out feature which a hardwire kit would not enjoy. Also, since power is controlled by transistors on the central computer there is a risk of overloading and damaging the rather expensive computer.

I would recommend checking the wiring diagrams before tapping into interior lamp power.

Back