B1W with Hardwire kit, unit fails to start when vehicle starts

mjw1978.123

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,
I have a B1W with the supplied hardwire kit installed, both red and yellow bridged and connected through a fused connection directly to the battery. When the car starts (Diesel) yes drops voltage down below 11.8 the cut off, for a few seconds, to be expected as the diesel start current hits 500+amps. Question is that the hardwire kit doesn't seem to be able to restart correctly in supplying the 5v to the dash cam. The B1W shows a very dull lite green light, not a bright solid or flashing when either in stand by or recording mode. To resolve this the dash cam needs to be unplugged, and the fuse removed from the hardwire kit for 5 minutes.

There is nothing wrong with the main starting battery it maintains a good voltage for starting considering the amount of cold cranking amps when the diesel starts. I am considering if it would be worth to place a 15v capacitor in the 12v supply to the hardwire kit, would have it obtain from the voltage drop for a second or 2 before the alternator kicks in to bring the voltage back up.

Is there anything else that I should try and/or could be an issue?

Thank You and Kind Regards!!

Matthew

both red and yellow bridged and connected through a fused connection directly to the battery.
Not to the battery, but to a switched fuse!

From your description you've done the known error of wiring to a circuit that loses voltage on cranking.

You need to find one that retains power. They are available, you need a multimeter to find one.

From your description you've done the known error of wiring to a circuit that loses voltage on cranking.

You need to find one that retains power. They are available, you need a multimeter to find one.
Thats hard to find as it is wired directly to the only battery in the car, so why I was looking at wiring in a capacitor to 2 to hold the mA of current required while the car starts. There is no other circuits that I could find in this car.

I have a switch 'hidden' under the dash for controlling some of my cams. It was just a good place for me but most cars will have something where this can be done easily. Might want a push-button or rocker switch instead of a toggle based on your situation. Doesn't take long to get into the habit of using the switch ;) Some cams have a 'start-up delay' function to allow for cranking voltage drops; I don't think the B1W does but I'm not certain.

Phil

Back