B40 A118C dark video

Nitram

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a Auto-Vox B40 A118C dashcam to replace a Mini 0903. (great idea, poor implementation)
After my first long trip I was a bit surprised as to how dark the daytime video seems to be when I play it back on the PC.
I've done a direct comparison and there's a marked difference between the two.
I also think the 0903 captures a lot more detail that the B40.
I've adjusted the exposure a little to see if that makes a difference, but am I wasting my time?

I'm also finding some of the video files missing. As reported in the other threads I'll see if they're in the RO file when I get a chance, but I also noticed the DC reboots when the Start/Stop kicks in and the car restarts at traffic lights. Anyone else seen this and could it cause the problem?

sample screenshots would help determine if your results are normal/expected or not

if you're missing footage make sure you have motion detect turned off

...but I also noticed the DC reboots when the Start/Stop kicks in and the car restarts at traffic lights. Anyone else seen this and could it cause the problem?
To solve this you will have to find a power source that remains 'hot' during the stop/start cycle.

sample screenshots would help determine if your results are normal/expected or not

if you're missing footage make sure you have motion detect turned off

Yep, its off.

Aside from adjusting the EV settings on the camera, make sure you don't have too much sky in your FOV.

To solve this you will have to find a power source that remains 'hot' during the stop/start cycle.

Yeh, I guessed that would be the case. Looking at the light on the power plug, I see its on when the car is in "stop" mode. It seems that when the car restarts it takes enough power to cause the power to drop for a second. This seems to cause the reboot. Not sure ifts its 100% of the time either.

Yeh, I guessed that would be the case. Looking at the light on the power plug, I see its on when the car is in "stop" mode. It seems that when the car restarts it takes enough power to cause the power to drop for a second. This seems to cause the reboot. Not sure ifts its 100% of the time either.
Then you may want to consider hard wiring the camera to a different circuit that can provide more current during an engine restart. I haven't had any issues my wife's Highlander hybrid, but then I hardwired her camera from day one... and being a hybrid it probably handles the engine start stop and power system differently from a non-hybrid.

Back