(b40 a118c) How to identify latest firmware, and question about auto-record

IBC

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I have a b40 a188c, and I've got two guestions:

1. How do I see which firmware I have installed: is that the information on (I believe) the version information? On the cam it says A118C. 20150403. If so, is it correct that there is a newer firmware version for the a118c? (FWA118C_Welcome_20150318.zip, found on this link: https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/)

2. My cam seems to start recording whenever I plug it in the cigar lighter, instead of when I start the car. Is this a setting in the camera, or is it normal behaviour? I'd rather have it recording when I start the car.

Thanks in advance,

IBC

1. i think you're reading the dates wrong. yours says 20150403 which is april 3 this year. the one you linked to is march 18.

2. sounds like your lighter socket is ON all the time. some cars are just made that way. you'll need to either unplug it every time you park (or risk having a dead battery, and possibly forgetting to plug it in when you go somewhere) or have the socket rewired by a stereo installer shop so that it's only live when the key is on (simple addition of a relay, takes maybe 30 minutes to do). another alternative is to have the camera hard-wired using one of the ~$10 kits out there. this will keep your lighter socket free (for phone charger/gps/etc) and keep everything nicely hidden.

example hardwire kit:
note that it says it's for the mini 0801 cam, but it's the kit i use on my A118c and it works fine. should work for any dashcam that gets power from mini-usb.

1. i think you're reading the dates wrong. yours says 20150403 which is april 3 this year. the one you linked to is march 18.
I guess you're right, messed up American and European dates :)

2. sounds like your lighter socket is ON all the time. some cars are just made that way. you'll need to either unplug it every time you park (or risk having a dead battery, and possibly forgetting to plug it in when you go somewhere) or have the socket rewired by a stereo installer shop so that it's only live when the key is on (simple addition of a relay, takes maybe 30 minutes to do). another alternative is to have the camera hard-wired using one of the ~$10 kits out there. this will keep your lighter socket free (for phone charger/gps/etc) and keep everything nicely hidden.

example hardwire kit:
note that it says it's for the mini 0801 cam, but it's the kit i use on my A118c and it works fine. should work for any dashcam that gets power from mini-usb.
Ok, your answer makes a lot more sense than the response I got from Auto-vox (looked like Google translate text). This seems very interesting, I will have a look in on how to connect it/wire it to the fuse box. Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
Back