B40 C / A118 stuck on startup screen

ThomasFoolery

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I bought an Auto Vox B40 C a couple days ago and installed it, tested, etc. It worked fine when I tested it the first couple times, then I took it out for a drive and it recorded the video properly. The same day (the very first day I got it), I turned on my car again and it wasn't able to boot past the startup screen.

I've heard that this problem can sometimes happen in cold weather, but it was about 85-90 F when that happened, so it's not the cold. I heard that heat shouldn't be a problem until at least 100+ degrees.

I've researched a bit but I wasn't able to find any solutions; some threads were saying that you're just SOL when this happens. Have any fixes been discovered? Or should I just send it back?

This was the exact model: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00UUQD9L6
*Also - the power is still fine, I checked the cable and it's good. The Power and Mic light both come on, it just doesn't boot past the startup screen.

I am out of town but I will try that when I'm back.

I do know that when I got back from the first drive, I took the card out (after the cam was off) and reinserted it with the cam still off as well. After I looked at the footage, I deleted the contents of the card because it was from an old phone and had some other folders on it. So, when I put it back in the camera, it was completely empty. Is there any software that was supposed to be on the card?

I am out of town but I will try that when I'm back.

I do know that when I got back from the first drive, I took the card out (after the cam was off) and reinserted it with the cam still off as well. After I looked at the footage, I deleted the contents of the card because it was from an old phone and had some other folders on it. So, when I put it back in the camera, it was completely empty. Is there any software that was supposed to be on the card?

no software needed but if you've deleted the files off it make sure to format the card before use

Format it in the camera for best results. It's in the second set of menus near the bottom.
I can't do that until the camera is able to boot. Will there be some sort of benefit to re-formatting it again after formatting it the first time?

I can't do that until the camera is able to boot. Will there be some sort of benefit to re-formatting it again after formatting it the first time?

if it boots with no card in then look at the card, format in your computer and see if the camera will boot, if it does then format in the camera

It will ensure that it has the correct file system (fat32) and eliminate any hidden files your PC may put on the card. MacOS is particularly bad about leaving crap on SD cards.

if the card is locked up in the camera due to hidden system files you will need to format in a PC first

I tried it again today, and it didn't boot with or without the card installed. When the car was turned on, the Mic and Power lights lit up, but still not the recording light, and no video was displayed on the screen (except for the startup icon).

I removed the disk and checked again, and it looks like the camera created a new folder (as it should, right?).

The folder is: CARDV > MOVIE. MOVIE contains RO and other recorded files. They are short and appear to be from when I was testing it after it had already failed to boot (judging by the date).

Do I need to format the card, or is the camera just faulty?

Yeah, I'm using the AC adapter that came with the camera. So how do I format the card?

So how do I format the card?

To format your card in the PC.
1 Insert card (in reader) into usb slot
2 Double click 'My computer'
3 Right click the drive letter where the card is
4 Select 'format'
5 Select file system type (fat32)
6 Ensure 'Quick Format' is checked
7 Click start

Is this what you were looking for?

Still not working after formatting the card, resetting the camera, etc.

Double checked the power connection, that's all good too.

Just faulty I guess...

Back