B40C/A118C Sometimes resetting after a double boot?

Renegade

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A118C with GPS, A119 with GPS
My B40C/A118C has started having a strange issue this week. It will start up when it gets power, however sometimes it will restart itself shortly after and will have lost date/time settings. Is there a new firmware version I should try, or is my dashcam dying?

Current firmware installed is A118C.20150403

Unfortunately it sounds like the cam is dying if it's losing settings. Maybe try another power adapter, but again, that should have no bearing on the settings - they have a little watch battery inside to store settings while power is off.

You could try cleaning the contact surfaces on the power adapter. There's a possibility a slight 'corrosion film' could be affecting the power supply.

Do you have other stuff plugged into that unit?

Have a Garmin GPS plugged in as well, but it's not having any issues.

I tried another memory card and had the same issue.

I noticed another strange issue. After correcting the date to today's date 3/10/2016, it randomly keeps changing it to 3/11/2016.

Do you have GPS on the cam, if so try unplugging it and see if that stops changing the date. And have you tried unplugging the Garmin to see if that cures the camera resets?

Have you tried different outlets?

Have you tried the original supplied power adapter?

Have you tried a different USB cable?

First step here is to determine if it's a power issue or a camera issue.

I do have GPS add on, I'll try unplugging that and see if it helps at all. I know when I was trying the camera on different power (USB charging pack) that it didn't seem to be resetting completely. But it was changing that date to 3/11 instead of 3/10.

I don't have the original power adapter anymore. I recycled it a few months ago.

I have tried different USB power ports on my BESTEK unit with same results.

I will also try unplugging my Garmin to see if that helps.

So I'm not 100% sure but I turned the GPS setting off on the camera and it seems to be holding settings correctly now? Was thinking I'd try the new firmware someone posted the other day.

Annnnd it's back to acting strange again. Going to attempt a firmware upgrade today and see how it goes.

Just an update to this thread. I switched to using different power supplies and my issues went away. It appears that the USB ports on my Bestek unit aren't the best for driving the A118.

Back