B4k observations

JeffNLasVegas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a video with the Las Vegas, Nevada, United States, sun glaring down on the windshield. Hope to get a CPL (circular polarizer/linear) filter to reduce the glare.

Overall, the B4k is the best real 4k camera out there for the price. The day time image is excellent, the user interface is easy to navigate, and the price well, let me say you can buy two b4ks (one for the front window and one for the back window) for the same price as a single Viofo a129 Pro Duo. Additionally, from all the videos I have watched on the a129 Pro, the clarity may look awesome while moving, but watch the same video frame by frame and pay attention to the motion blur on up close objects, like license plates. The b4k beats the a129 Pro in clarity at close range (where it counts).

Things I noticed, just observations:

1. Stuttering during playback:
The above video was recorded with firmware v006. The new v008 firmware (available on blueskysea-inc’s web site) appears to help reduce this stuttering issue. The stutter in firmware v006 was caused by a duplicate frame every 7-10 frames. This can easily be reproduced by opening the .ts (transport stream) file using the VLC media player; just view the video frame by frame (press E in VLC) and you will see the duplicate frame within 10 frames. Note: I am running an 8-core AMD 4700u processor with built-in graphics, it has no problem playing h.265 video files.

2. Window mount:
The window mount has notches that allow it to position the angle, but the notches are not fine enough to allow me to position the camera's angle just right. For example, one notch allows the camera to point towards the dash and one notch in the other direction will point the camera above the hood; there is no in between position.

3. Power:
With the screen off and the b4k recording, the b4k uses about 600 milliamps, and 700 milliamps with Wi-Fi activated. This was tested with a USB amp/voltage meter. For comparison, my Viofo a119 v2 uses 200 milliamps. Why is this important? You can buy USB power banks that can run a dash cam that is not connected to your cars battery, draining it (wake up one morning and your car won’t start). These power banks are rated in mAh or miliamp hour. For example, if I purchase a 20,000 mAh power bank, I could theoretically run the b4k for 33 hours (20,000 mAh divided by 600 miliamps required to run the b4k), on a full charge. However, these power banks never live up to their marketed miliamp hour ratings, so if the marketing says 20,000 mAh, it’s more like 10,000 mAh.

46E16237-8CCD-40A4-9DB7-553DCC1A0B62.jpeg
4. USB Cable:
I wish the 12 volt cigarette lighter power cable was not an integrated unit (cord directly attached to adapter), but rather a normal USB cable. The reason is I would like to plug the camera into a 12 volt jump starter (with USB outlets) or 5.1 volt external battery power bank. Yes. I know. I can purchase a new micro USB cable and that's what I have done for another $6.

5. Hot:
The b4k does get hot, to hot to touch (the screen, and where the GPS pins are). I hope that it won't fail when the summer comes to Las Vegas and where the temps can get to 115 degrees outside, the inside of the car's windshield gets even hotter.

6. Picture:
To take a picture, the b4k can be complex during a rush to take a simple picture. There are two scenarios: (a) when the screen is on and, (b) when the screen is off. If the screen is off, one must press the right bottom button once (to turn screen on), then immediately press and hold the same button for two seconds to a take picture. The second scenario is when the screen is already on, which is simpler, just press and hold the bottom right button for two seconds. The problem is during a rush to take a picture, one is not thinking if the screen is on or off and if the screen is already on and you do the aforementioned (a) scenario, you will not take a picture, but rather the b4k will enter the video playback mode, which to exit requires holding the middle, right button for 3 seconds. This can be frustrating.

7. Mount or camera able to face driver side window:
I would like the ability to turn the camera to face the driver side window during a police traffic stop or other situation that requires it.

8. No super capacitor (preferred) or battery:
During a head on crash where the battery and the alternator are destroyed, the camera will immediately power off. I don't have first hand experience with this thank god, but I do see where it could be important to record video or hear what happens after the crash for a few seconds longer. Note: a crash happens in less than 6 seconds.

9. Field of view:
The blueskysea's website states the field of view is only 110 degrees, but all the youtube videos I watched show it having a greater field of view than my previous 160 degree Viofo a119 v2. The newer a119 v3 is marketed as a 140 degree field of view. But, this must just be marketing because the the videos clearly show the b4k having a wider field of view than the a119 v3 and the a129 Pro. I specifically wanted this greater field of view in the B4k over the a119 v3's clarity in reading license plates because, when in an accident, you want that situational awareness that documents more of what happen. This is one of the selling points that helped me decide to purchase the b4k over the a119 v3.

10. File format:
The b4k uses an uncommon video file format called .ts (transport stream). It's used because, unlike .mp4 (common among other dash cams), the .ts video stream being recorded can be interrupted without causing the whole file to be corrupted. When a dash camera uses the .mp4 file format there is important information that must be written to the end of the file, if this information is lost, the .mp4 video file becomes corrupted. The .ts file format does not have this issue, which is a good thing. This is also why the B4k doesn't require a super capacitor or battery to complete the recording when power is unexpectedly lost, like during a crash or camera accidentally unplugged. However, the .ts file format can not be played using Windows 10's media player without paid plug-ins, which can be a pain if you need to send a video file to insurance, or police. But, there is a solution, just download the free VLC player. This player can play the .ts file format, trim it, and even convert it to .mp4.

11. B4k directly connected to computer via USB will mount as a storage device:
This is a cool feature that makes it easy to get files off of the Micro SD card without having to remove it from the b4k first. Just connect the b4k using a Micro-USB cable that supports both power and data and the Micro SD card will mount within the Windows file system as a drive. This is great if you have a rear window mounted b4k and you want to get video off of the camera without having to go through a lot of trouble.

12. PC desktop access to files via WiFi:
I found out that you can access the video files directly on the camera from your PC or any device, via WiFi, you just need to connect to the B4k via WiFi and then open a web browser and type in http://192.168.1.254. However, there is no advantage to this feature because it is really slow. This is because your using the reduced speed of WiFi 802.11n, which the b4k only supports up to 2 mega bytes per second (MB/sec) in my testing. In comparison, copying video files via the Micro-SD card directly connected to your desktop PC will have speeds as high as 100 MB/sec (depending on the speed of the Micro-SD card purchased).
Note: the reason for even bringing this up is I was trying to find out if one could obtain the live stream of the camera, so that the b4k could then be used as a high-resolution 4K security cam or a desktop web cam, but this doesn't appear to be possible.

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT @JeffNLasVegas :)
The new FW does help somewhat, and they're still refining it so newer versions may come along.

They're checking with their engineers about the coarse mount notches and I meant to check on a possible work-around today but I forgot.

The B4K is power-hungry- most 4K cams are. IIRC the supplied PS is rated at 2A; I did have reliability/booting issues trying to use a 1.5A PS which I had already installed.

Some cams do use a separate PS and USB cable arrangement, some don't. Cost is probably a factor here- this is a budget-level cam so that matters.

Mine runs quite warm, but I wouldn't call it "hot". I've had several other cams which ran hotter. Again IIRC one is being tested in Malaysia that saw some high heats at the end of the summer there with no issues reported. If it does show up as a problem later, lowering the resolution will help. We can only wait and see on this.

I never manually lock a file with any cam; you've got the recording and I've found leaving dashcams alone and untouched equals better reliability.

Most (maybe all) cams which have their GPS built into the mount do not rotate- the same for many lacking GPS. Mounts are much more stable this way which can be an issue with ball-and-socket mounted cams. It also allows mounting closer to the glass and in tighter spaces. Whatever transpires at your window is on audio which with whatever vids you have can make pretty clear what went on without a direct video.

Old cams and cheap new ones use LiPo batteries tio properly close files, but these aren't heat tolerant and they eventually wear out and fail. Supercaps have replaced them in almost all of the good dashcams as those do the job of closing files well without trouble or needing replacement due to wear. But supercap cams and most cams still using LiPo's aren't going to sustain recording longer than those few seconds after a power drop, so essentially the B4K does what the rest do in this. Only it does not need caps or battery to do it because the .ts file format is native to the processor, not converted, so no file closing procedure is needed. We regularly see folks come here seeking help with corrupted files after a crash; that won't happen with the B4K and the .ts file format. Your vids are much more secure this way though it doesn't work with as wide a range of vid players as .mpeg or .avi files do. And not needing battery or caps keeps the cam price lower allowing more to have a 4K cam.

I haven't taken my protractor to this one yet but it's FOV is good for a wide-angle cam. Most cam manufacturers grossly over-state this spec while Blueskysea and Street Guardian are far more honest about it. The reality of dashcams it that none with good undistorted edge-to-edge imaging are going to exceed about 135 degrees FOV measured diagonally. Horizontally that's less, usually around 125 degrees at best and often below that. Hard to do any better with an M12 lens which dashcams use. If I remember to do it I'll get a horizontal FOV measurement for this cam soon; my old 'bus' makes doing this with accuracy relatively easy.

The B4K is as good as you'll find in a budget-friendly true 4K cam. Not fancy, perfect, or full of features- just built well and with good factory support at a nice price.

Phil

Thanks Phil for taking the time to bring original and additional insights to my post. Looking forward to uploading more videos and experiences of the B4k.

the b4k uses about 600 milliamps, and 700 milliamps with Wi-Fi activated.
Interesting measurements on the amperage drawn during recording....has anyone repeated this measurement with the rear camera recording also?

Here is a video with the Las Vegas, Nevada, United States, sun glaring down on the windshield. Hope to get a CPL (circular polarizer/linear) filter to reduce the glare.

Overall, the B4k is the best real 4k camera out there for the price. The day time image is excellent, the user interface is easy to navigate, and the price well, let me say you can buy two b4ks (one for the front window and one for the back window) for the same price as a single Viofo a129 Pro Duo. Additionally, from all the videos I have watched on the a129 Pro, the clarity may look awesome while moving, but watch the same video frame by frame and pay attention to the motion blur on up close objects, like license plates. The b4k beats the a129 Pro in clarity at close range (where it counts).

Things I noticed, just observations:

1. Stuttering during playback:
The above video was recorded with firmware v006. The new v008 firmware (available on blueskysea-inc’s web site) appears to help reduce this stuttering issue. The stutter in firmware v006 was caused by a duplicate frame every 7-10 frames. This can easily be reproduced by opening the .ts (transport stream) file using the VLC media player; just view the video frame by frame (press E in VLC) and you will see the duplicate frame within 10 frames. Note: I am running an 8-core AMD 4700u processor with built-in graphics, it has no problem playing h.265 video files.

2. Window mount:
The window mount has notches that allow it to position the angle, but the notches are not fine enough to allow me to position the camera's angle just right. For example, one notch allows the camera to point towards the dash and one notch in the other direction will point the camera above the hood; there is no in between position.

3. Power:
With the screen off and the b4k recording, the b4k uses about 600 milliamps, and 700 milliamps with Wi-Fi activated. This was tested with a USB amp/voltage meter. For comparison, my Viofo a119 v2 uses 200 milliamps. Why is this important? You can buy USB power banks that can run a dash cam that is not connected to your cars battery, draining it (wake up one morning and your car won’t start). These power banks are rated in mAh or miliamp hour. For example, if I purchase a 20,000 mAh power bank, I could theoretically run the b4k for 33 hours (20,000 mAh divided by 600 miliamps required to run the b4k), on a full charge. However, these power banks never live up to their marketed miliamp hour ratings, so if the marketing says 20,000 mAh, it’s more like 10,000 mAh.

View attachment 55298
4. USB Cable:
I wish the 12 volt cigarette lighter power cable was not an integrated unit (cord directly attached to adapter), but rather a normal USB cable. The reason is I would like to plug the camera into a 12 volt jump starter (with USB outlets) or 5.1 volt external battery power bank. Yes. I know. I can purchase a new micro USB cable and that's what I have done for another $6.

5. Hot:
The b4k does get hot, to hot to touch (the screen, and where the GPS pins are). I hope that it won't fail when the summer comes to Las Vegas and where the temps can get to 115 degrees outside, the inside of the car's windshield gets even hotter.

6. Picture:
To take a picture, the b4k can be complex during a rush to take a simple picture. There are two scenarios: (a) when the screen is on and, (b) when the screen is off. If the screen is off, one must press the right bottom button once (to turn screen on), then immediately press and hold the same button for two seconds to a take picture. The second scenario is when the screen is already on, which is simpler, just press and hold the bottom right button for two seconds. The problem is during a rush to take a picture, one is not thinking if the screen is on or off and if the screen is already on and you do the aforementioned (a) scenario, you will not take a picture, but rather the b4k will enter the video playback mode, which to exit requires holding the middle, right button for 3 seconds. This can be frustrating.

7. Mount or camera able to face driver side window:
I would like the ability to turn the camera to face the driver side window during a police traffic stop or other situation that requires it.

8. No super capacitor (preferred) or battery:
During a head on crash where the battery and the alternator are destroyed, the camera will immediately power off. I don't have first hand experience with this thank god, but I do see where it could be important to record video or hear what happens after the crash for a few seconds longer. Note: a crash happens in less than 6 seconds.

9. Field of view:
The blueskysea's website states the field of view is only 110 degrees, but all the youtube videos I watched show it having a greater field of view than my previous 160 degree Viofo a119 v2. The newer a119 v3 is marketed as a 140 degree field of view. But, this must just be marketing because the the videos clearly show the b4k having a wider field of view than the a119 v3 and the a129 Pro. I specifically wanted this greater field of view in the B4k over the a119 v3's clarity in reading license plates because, when in an accident, you want that situational awareness that documents more of what happen. This is one of the selling points that helped me decide to purchase the b4k over the a119 v3.

10. File format:
The b4k uses an uncommon video file format called .ts (transport stream). It's used because, unlike .mp4 (common among other dash cams), the .ts video stream being recorded can be interrupted without causing the whole file to be corrupted. When a dash camera uses the .mp4 file format there is important information that must be written to the end of the file, if this information is lost, the .mp4 video file becomes corrupted. The .ts file format does not have this issue, which is a good thing. This is also why the B4k doesn't require a super capacitor or battery to complete the recording when power is unexpectedly lost, like during a crash or camera accidentally unplugged. However, the .ts file format can not be played using Windows 10's media player without paid plug-ins, which can be a pain if you need to send a video file to insurance, or police. But, there is a solution, just download the free VLC player. This player can play the .ts file format, trim it, and even convert it to .mp4.

11. B4k directly connected to computer via USB will mount as a storage device:
This is a cool feature that makes it easy to get files off of the Micro SD card without having to remove it from the b4k first. Just connect the b4k using a Micro-USB cable that supports both power and data and the Micro SD card will mount within the Windows file system as a drive. This is great if you have a rear window mounted b4k and you want to get video off of the camera without having to go through a lot of trouble.

12. PC desktop access to files via WiFi:
I found out that you can access the video files directly on the camera from your PC or any device, via WiFi, you just need to connect to the B4k via WiFi and then open a web browser and type in http://192.168.1.254. However, there is no advantage to this feature because it is really slow. This is because your using the reduced speed of WiFi 802.11n, which the b4k only supports up to 2 mega bytes per second (MB/sec) in my testing. In comparison, copying video files via the Micro-SD card directly connected to your desktop PC will have speeds as high as 100 MB/sec (depending on the speed of the Micro-SD card purchased).
Note: the reason for even bringing this up is I was trying to find out if one could obtain the live stream of the camera, so that the b4k could then be used as a high-resolution 4K security cam or a desktop web cam, but this doesn't appear to be possible.
did you make many parking mode observations including parking sensitivity and limitations of both cameras recoding in different modes etc.

I've been running one for the past 4 months (??) with front and back channels, parking mode, etc. So far no issues with thermal shutdown while driving. During parking mode, I can't tell if it's due to battery voltage dropping low enough or other factors, but I've not found any flaking during parking mode. Once it decides to turn off, it stays off.

So check the hardwire kit connection and its battery voltage?
Yeah what I mean is likely it went off because battery voltage is insufficient already based on my HWK setting. So no problems there (y)

Back