Backroads

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Here is a video from the small backroads of Jutland, to be spesific this is captured between Hinge lake and Tange lake, starting on route 13 just after i passed Bølling lake on my way home from Billund airport.

Track.jpg

And for the digital junkies out there, every little town i pass thru on this drive have fiber optic internet, even the converted windmill from 1882 ( 3:54 ) that is visible on the left side of the footage in one of the small towns.

If you hit pause of use youtube to slow things down you will see little white boxes on the housed a foot or so above ground, that's where the fiber optic is guided thru the house wall to terminate in a router like contraption on the inside wall.
Okay every single house dont have it, old people living there cant be bothered with such stuff.

...every little town i pass thru on this drive have fiber optic internet,....
I'm jealous. ;)

I'm also a bit curious, what type of internet access is available to houses out in the countryside, away from any towns?

Here is a video from the small backroads of Jutland, to be spesific this is captured between Hinge lake and Tange lake, starting on route 13 just after i passed Bølling lake on my way home from Billund airport.

Track.jpg

And for the digital junkies out there, every little town i pass thru on this drive have fiber optic internet, even the converted windmill from 1882 ( 3:54 ) that is visible on the left side of the footage in one of the small towns.

If you hit pause of use youtube to slow things down you will see little white boxes on the housed a foot or so above ground, that's where the fiber optic is guided thru the house wall to terminate in a router like contraption on the inside wall.
Okay every single house dont have it, old people living there cant be bothered with such stuff.
Nice video @kamkar1, very scenic and relaxing countryside.

When i had my house 11 Km from the center of our #2 largest town, all i could get on the phone was 4/1 mbit, when i got fiber put in only the wallet was the limit, a gigabut connection here are still 2X of what it is in Sweden.

So if there are no fiber near where you live in the countryside you just have to pray you are near to a Dslam and your copper are good.

In the major towns the best you can get are cable like i have, the fiber providers have not been given permission to tear the major towns up, but they are creeping in slowly.
But out in the country side where hardly no people live or in smaller towns with like 100.000 people or less they have established some places in towns like that, but in general it is the even more rural areas where they can dig holes to their hearts content.

There are several fiber providers here ( electric companies ASO ) but to my knowledge only one are not loosing money on it at the moment.

This is a 2016 map, the green areas are where you can get fiber.
fiber-daekning-danmark.jpg

Yeah too bad youtube murdered the footage, the raw stuff off the GC looks much better.

The central part of Jutland are a safe bet for fiber, even in some of the larger towns here in my part of the country like Silkeborg - Vejle - Kolding ASO, but i would prefer a little house in the country.

We do have several cable companies off course, but they have been operating for a long time now, so they are pretty established in the major towns, and off course also smaller ones.
Where i look for apartments there are several places where you can choose between cable or fiber. ( eastern part of Jutland around Aarhus the #2 largest town )

About 1.8 million Danes live in or around our capitol with a total of 2.2 million on Zeeland the island to the east where out capitol are - 2.5 million Danes live in Jutland, and we are about 5.5 million in total.

O and there are plenty of empty cheap houses out in the rural parts, some are now being torn down as there are no jobs out there so no one to live in the houses.

away from any towns?

If the fiber are in the area it should also go down the dead end dirt road ( private road ) you might have a house on.
The fiber company might not dig the trence all the way to your house ( say you have a 1/8 mile long driveway to your house )
But then you just borrow a little digger from the farmer next door or rent one for the weekend and dig the trench yourself, as i recall it just have to be 2.5 foot deep at least.
Then they will connect you out at the "major" street and blow a fiber out to your house.

I put in my own fiber in the house, or that is i dug the trench for the tube from the roadside connection and then to my house.
I am not sure if the fiber companies still ask for a little money to connect you all the way to the house wall, but if it is it cant be more than 3500 Dkkr that was the prize in 2009.
But in general in a already developed area its usually free to get hooked up.

Driving around you will often see more or less of the 1/2 inch orange plastic tube poking out of the ground at places not yet connected, you can just make it out in the pic below on the ground in front of the door.
not_connected_yet.jpg

But you will be hard pressed to find a house or old farm with more than a half mile over to the next house, myself i would prefer a mile, but that's not going to happen in Denmark.

Last edited:
(...)to terminate in a router like contraption on the inside wall.
It's called ONT (Optical Network Terminal). Mine looks like this:
ONT Vodafone front.jpg
ONT Vodafone back.jpg
This one is the all-in-one from Vodafone. The other network operator, MEO (formerly Portugal Telecom, now owned by Altice) uses a simpler ONT with a separate modem-router.

Another blast thru eastern Jutland, in parts roads i have not been on for at least 2 decades if not never.
And in what seem to be the new typical "summer" weather for this region of the world map.

The latter half of the drive i have posted before but going the other way on HWY 26 between Aarhus and Viborg.
speed12062017.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed a "Circle K" store- I didn't know they were an international company ;) And I also "enjoyed the ride" :D

Phil

Well they are also new in my neck of the woods, but they are hitting it hard on the way south out of town there are 2 circle k with 1/4 mile in between.

7 - 11 been in Denmark for a long time, but i have not noticed one here in Randers

And for the digital junkies out there, every little town i pass thru on this drive have fiber optic internet

Lucky them.

I got FIOS 50Mb/50Mb all the way in the house and then Verizon terminate with cobber:rage:. WTF. There call it Fiber. I call it cobber:punch:.

Give me fiber pls. no cobber and put some power backup on you equipment, so I can see TV and use internet when the neighborhood lose the power.:rage:

Lucky them.

I got FIOS 50Mb/50Mb all the way in the house and then Verizon terminate with cobber:rage:. WTF. There call it Fiber. I call it cobber:punch:.

Give me fiber pls. no cobber and put some power backup on you equipment, so I can see TV and use internet when the neighborhood lose the power.:rage:
I have always thought that was stretching "truth in advertising" ;)

Yep you will need that fiber to terminate on the inside wall of your house, that other low budget way of doing things are just silly.

Took another stab at the backraods today, due to me getting a SJ6 air camera.
So it went on a suction cup mount in the windscreen, did a couple of changes and set it to narrow FOV as i wanted to see if that would yeld footage more like some better Journey logger from the US that post in here.

I dident nail the settings perfect ( sky exposure ) but aside for my dirty windscreen its not half bad either, i think this are the way to go for me with videos like this as the dashcams wide lenses are just too much for this kind of recordings.

The first part of todays drive around, this is a demo of the E45 motorway and a short trip from my hometown of Randers to Hobro a bit further north.
RHGPS.jpg

I love you video, but I wish you have slow it down.
I'm the person there will grab a mug coffee or a glass of water, sit down. Take a break from world around and enjoy the landscape, from the place I see.
Nothing have to be fast, just purpose of enjoying it.

The first part of todays drive around, this is a demo of the E45 motorway and a short trip from my hometown of Randers to Hobro a bit further north.
RHGPS.jpg

Back