Bash and dash!

the_weasel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This happened 23 July.
Area of parking for 6 houses and we sometimes get people turning around, thankfully usually better than this!

I'd only left the car out of the garage as I was going out later in the evening, after I returned I found that the dirt on my bumper had become smudged.
Checking further I found my bumper had become slightly deformed so I checked the files on the camera and found this,

Skip to 2.30

Then she did this

She lives nowhere near so I don't know why she was here, though have seen her car before....but not since!
I was parked in gear but with the handbrake off, that saved me from more major damage.
Whilst the bumper was slightly deformed in the centre just above my exhaust, the damage was very minimal and barely shows in a picture. Some was pushed in and a bit was pushed out

A nice clear number plate passed to the police and the insurance and she admitted hitting me but thought there was no damage, never even got out of the car.
Rear facing Viofo A129 Duo caught the culprit.

Just got the car back today :)

How bad of a driver can they be if they are unable turn around a small go-cart like that without hitting something? Blows my mind!

People think you mus learn the traffic code and then thats it, but really first and foremost you must know the size of your car and how to handle it,,,,, within the rules of the traffic code.

My driving instructor put one 20 DKkr coin on the ground beside the curb, if you reversed in and parked on the coin it was yours.
I made a few DKkr that way though i did not always nail it.
And if you drove in the middle of your lane, he said why do you do that you are supposed to keep right even in your lane.

That is what our dashcams should be doing for us- plus 1 for @the_weasel and thanks for posting the vid (y)

But I do have to wonder whether they were charged with hit-and-run when the impact wasn't something they might not have felt? They had to know they collided with something and they just didn't care...

Phil

That is what our dashcams should be doing for us- plus 1 for @the_weasel and thanks for posting the vid (y)

But I do have to wonder whether they were charged with hit-and-run when the impact wasn't something they might not have felt? They had to know they collided with something and they just didn't care...

Phil
No she wasn't charged, the police called at her house but she was out, they left a card asking her to contact them.
She did so surprisingly quickly, admitted to it and passed all her details over.
Had she tried to deny it or not contacted the police, then she would probably have been charged.

I'm happy with the way the police dealt with it, they have much more serious stuff to deal with than this.

No she wasn't charged, the police called at her house but she was out, they left a card asking her to contact them.
She did so surprisingly quickly, admitted to it and passed all her details over.
Had she tried to deny it or not contacted the police, then she would probably have been charged.

I'm happy with the way the police dealt with it, they have much more serious stuff to deal with than this.
Seems to be the way that is normally dealt with in UK. Remember that she does pay a penalty since her insurance will go up next renewal.

Some people just back up until they hit something. I was sitting in my car when a woman tried to parallel park in front of me. I could see that her entire bumper was covered in scratch marks so I knew what was coming. She didn't hit me too hard but yeah, she backed up until she made contact. I got out and questioned her about it and just got some lame excuse about not seeing my car. :rolleyes:

Thats the plus and minus of all that plastic on cars, in little events it just flex and give, unlike the metal of old cars that got a smaller or larger dent.

When i got my Suzuki gran vitara i think it was on day #2 not even gotten my insurance papers yet, i reversed into a guy at the local MCD, gave a god awful sound but due to me having a town hitch that could come off ( had to in regular driving as tow hitch otherwise blocked license-plate ) Anyway nothing happened, but the old guy was pissed as he had once before gotten screwed over by a person giving him false info.

Called him the next day when he had a chance to inspact his car in daylight, and he was happy so no claims was filed other in my mind as my brain and the way it is wired will never be able to forget that embarrassing mess.

Back