Basic front and rear Dash Cam for learner

DashCam11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after a Dash Cam, front and rear for sons car when learning.

I have a VIOFO A129 dual that I have hardwired as I also wanted monitoring when parking.

I’m in UK and looking, there’s a lot of no brand, are these any good for basic use? eg ORSKEY Dash Cam Front and Rear 1080P Full HD Dual Dash Camera In Car Camera Dashboard Camera Dashcam for Cars 170 Wide Angle HDR with 3.0" LCD Display Night Vision Motion Detection and G-sensor https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07PFSXZ2W
Or should I keep away from these? Probably fit myself. Or what about these ones that clip on the front but have a rear view camera built in? Can’t imagine that good with the distance from where goes on the front to the back though?

Thanks

Hi,

You mention that you have a Viofo A129 that you've hardwired for monitoring when parked. Is this a requirement for your son's car as well or do you just need the dashcam to run whilst the car's being driven?

As you know and are probably happy with the Viofo brand then I recommend that you stick with it. A good dashcam is like insurance, you hope that you don't need it but if you ever do then you'll be glad that you bought the better one for the extra cover.

I'm happy with the Viofo A119 V3 which I've had since November 2019. I've recently added a second A119 V3 for the rear. I prefer two single dashcams to a dual dashcam for redundancy safety (i.e. contingency backup) because should the front (most important) dashcam fail then I can swap the rear to the front and still have cover.

As for wiring, I have adopted the lazy approach to installation. I just loop the power cable over the rearview mirror and it's plugged into the cigarette lighter. I've not had a car fail its MOT with this wiring. Fortunately, the cigarette lighter plug is only live when the car is on 'Acc' or running. The cigarette lighter plug has a three-way port and one of those ports has an extension cable leading to the rear of the car for the second and rear dashcam.

Regards,

There aren't many good 2-channel cams below the A129 Duo price, and with them all the rear cam will disappoint in comparison. The B4K does very good video front, but the rear cam is analog which limits resolution- it's a bit cheaper than the Viofo in cost. The A800 with rear cam is about the same. The Mini 0906 may still be in production but QC and reliability issues are known with some units, though if you happen to get a good one it will take care of things nicely. Rexing has some 2-channel cams similarly, perhaps at even less cost. Nextbase is heavily marketed in the UK but their new series of cams are problematic and I'd avoid them.

Price matters to all of us, but you don't get what you don't pay for, and for what you get the A129 is a good value, so I'd say to stay with it.

Phil

Thanks, so the no brand are no good?

Interesting on the new series 2 Nextbase, what’s the problem with them? As you say very marketed here in UK, and seemed a good option for a brand.

Looking at the series 2 nextbase there’s an option for rear view, but clips into the front unit, by looks of it a USB port. How good are these to see from front to back, and if anyone sitting in back then obviously be blocked. Can’t imagine the view is that good as will see the inside of the car to?

There are hundreds of no good brands, or at least brands to be very careful about., if the car industry was the same as the dashcam industry, we would have people dying in really poor cars every day.
Some maybe on the way home from the dealer.

#1 i think is to get something where you stand a chance of getting any form of support.
#2 is about the same but just warranty.

Regarding cabin cameras, then i am not a fan of the ones where the cabin camera is on the front main unit, in my car where i have cameras in front of the roof mounted mirror, that would block the view to most of the car.
And so i would have to install the camera either offset to a side, or a lot lover than i would prefer, which would give a low stealth install, possibly even a illegal install here in Denmark.
But it is a good idea to have the camera up high, as thats where the seats give less to hide behind for people in the back seat.
Personally i have the cabin camera of the A139 i am testing mounted to the mirror stalk, just a few CM below the headliner.

Thanks, so the no brand are no good?

Interesting on the new series 2 Nextbase, what’s the problem with them? As you say very marketed here in UK, and seemed a good option for a brand.

Looking at the series 2 nextbase there’s an option for rear view, but clips into the front unit, by looks of it a USB port. How good are these to see from front to back, and if anyone sitting in back then obviously be blocked. Can’t imagine the view is that good as will see the inside of the car to?
had the nextbase 322gw and rwc and for the most part worked flawlessly

Not sure on the rear view camera that fixes to front, as said it would be blocked a lot, although normally in this car there’s only front seat passengers.

Can’t seem to find any videos on YT to show the rear camera for comparison.

In the UK Nextbase seems to be very popular. Looking at either the 222x for £100 which has the rear camera included, or the 322 is on offer by itself for £90 at the moment.

In the UK, and elsewhere for that matter, i think it is due to their presense in large physical stores, it dont seem like they have some secret sauce going on online.

Not sure on the rear view camera that fixes to front, as said it would be blocked a lot, although normally in this car there’s only front seat passengers.

In the UK Nextbase seems to be very popular. Looking at either the 222x for £100 which has the rear camera included, or the 322 is on offer by itself for £90 at the moment.
some sellers do refurbed 322gws and rwcs for discounted price, maybe look into that?

you could crop it in post but thats about it, the rwc is the rear window camera, sorry i abreviate thiings and expect people to know em alot my bad

you could crop it in post but thats about it, the rwc is the rear window camera, sorry i abreviate thiings and expect people to know em alot my bad

I’m the same ha ha thanks.

So that’s max to crop, would have thought it may have had some adjustment on it.

Maybe better to just get the front for now and get the rear later then, presume it’s pretty easy to fit and be much better view and quality imagine.

Thanks

Nextbase 222x front and rear (clip on to front type) £75 or 322GW for £90 (no rear camera).

What I’m wondering between these 2 is, I think it’s quite important to have GPS? for insurance or proof? the 222 doesn’t have this.

Also the 322 has 1080P 60fos so imagine a lot smoother.

I could get the proper rear view camera later maybe?

Nextbase 222x front and rear (clip on to front type) £75 or 322GW for £90 (no rear camera).

What I’m wondering between these 2 is, I think it’s quite important to have GPS? for insurance or proof? the 222 doesn’t have this.

Also the 322 has 1080P 60fos so imagine a lot smoother.

I could get the proper rear view camera later maybe?
get the 322gw, it gives you the option for a rear module later unlike the 222, the smoothness isn't very noticeable but if you want gps and the option of the rear modules i do recommend the 322gw

get the 322gw, it gives you the option for a rear module later unlike the 222, the smoothness isn't very noticeable but if you want gps and the option of the rear modules i do recommend the 322gw

Is the 222 not compatible with the rear cam? They are selling a 222x pack which includes the clip on rear camera. Or it just doesn’t support the rear window, wired one that fits on the rear window?

I think your right, the GPS is maybe a feature that have to have for future proof a bit , and maybe any insurance discounts would have to have this?

Thanks

Is the 222 not compatible with the rear cam? They are selling a 222x pack which includes the clip on rear camera. Or it just doesn’t support the rear window, wired one that fits on the rear window?

I think your right, the GPS is maybe a feature that have to have for future proof a bit , and maybe any insurance discounts would have to have this?

Thanks
the 222 isn't compatible with any of the rear modules, the 222x has its own rear cam that is only compatible with itself as it uses usb c while the others use mini hdmi, the regular 222 does not have the port for this and you arent able to by the 222x rear camera later on

Hi
Ive recently had my Rear 222x camera stolen form a Airport Car park which for legal reasons I wont state as there's a Police investigation ongoing. However is it possible to use a extended usb Mini Usb c and mount the camera on the rear window if possible has anyone achieved this. My problem is I cant get a replacement rear facing camera, so any advice would be great , Thanks in advance. Not good finding your car with the wiring literally pulled out of my roof lining.

Attachments

• Car Found like this.jpg
    Car Found like this.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 7
dont understand the logic of stealing just the rear camera, criminals are stupid.

Back