Basic Question on 0826

HerbieHind

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm looking to buy a new dash cam. I'm currently using Caroo Pro on my old cell phone, and have decided to finally upgrade to a proper cam. I'm bouncing between 3 different ones right now after a few days of research, but I have two questions regarding the 0826 that I haven't found any any reviews or forum posts that I've browsed through.

1) Is it possible/easy to disable the cabin audio?
2) Is it possible/easy to disable the speed tracking?

As a sub-question to #2, if I can disable the speed, can I still use the GPS coordinates, or is it a "GPS OFF or ON" only situation?

Insurance where I'm from are complete d-bags, and I'd rather not have something happen, and then my claim gets rejected because my evidence video showed me going 5 over the limit minutes before the incident or some random crap. Also, I don't want anyone to hear me singing along to my music all the time. lol

Thanks!

Audio I would leave on, it's very easily stripped out if you don't want it but it can make a difference having audio there in some situations

GPS can be used and viewed offline without the need to embed the data in the video

Is the option available though, to turn both features completely off, should I choose to not use them?

Since you seem to be well versed in these... What would you recommend from the 3 I'm currently torn between?

Street Guardian V2
Mini 0826
G1W-CB

I like the "hard mount" features on the guardian and the mini. But I like the cheap price on the G1W and it has a capacitor.

They all seem to be fairly similar for video quality. Night quality is what is important to me, as for 9 months of the year up here in Canada, we have reduced daylight, and I'm usually driving to and from work in the dark.

And my final major requirement is reliability of the device itself.

What are your thoughts?

Only if I am not able to disable it at all, or if I'm unable to strip the speed data from the video. As I said, insurance companies up here are jerks, and if at any time in the video you're even doing 2km/h over the limit, they ding you for speeding and like to reject claims as a result.

So, you would recommend that one over the 3 I'm looking at? haha I wasn't expecting to have another cam to research. That price is nice too.
I've actually now, during this conversation, decided against the G1W. I was now basically deciding whether I wanted to spend $160CAD for the 0826 or $290CAD for the Guardian V2.

I'll take a look at the one you just recommended.

Do you have a link to that one? The one I see on the Street Guardian website is over $350USD.

*Edit* Amazon has it actually from the Street Guardian store on there for that price. Excellent...

Last edited:
The Street Guardian site lists everything in AUD and includes duties and taxes that don't exist in the USA, always best to check prices in the local market as they do vary depending on location

Do you know of any issues using the SpyTec hardwire kit () in conjunction with the SGZC12SS?

I don't want to plug in to my cigarette lighter port. I don't like cables all over the place. Kind of OCPD that way. I want to hard wire this thing in with no visible cables running through the headliner and door lining up into the dash and use the 12V power tap behind the lighter port.

haha ok. I suppose that works too. I think I'm going to go with the SGZC12SS. Looks like a good buy for that price.
Thanks for all your help. You've been awesome! I appreciate it.

I'm looking to buy a new dash cam. I'm currently using Caroo Pro on my old cell phone, and have decided to finally upgrade to a proper cam. I'm bouncing between 3 different ones right now after a few days of research, but I have two questions regarding the 0826 that I haven't found any any reviews or forum posts that I've browsed through.

1) Is it possible/easy to disable the cabin audio?
2) Is it possible/easy to disable the speed tracking?

As a sub-question to #2, if I can disable the speed, can I still use the GPS coordinates, or is it a "GPS OFF or ON" only situation?

Insurance where I'm from are complete d-bags, and I'd rather not have something happen, and then my claim gets rejected because my evidence video showed me going 5 over the limit minutes before the incident or some random crap. Also, I don't want anyone to hear me singing along to my music all the time. lol

Thanks!
yes you can disable the cabin audio and also the speed tracking.
Not sure on the GPS question. I'll have a play with that one.
You will need to be careful that the camera is actually recording all the time. Mine has been unreliable in that sense. It seems that reformatting the card on a regular basis helps because the overwrite doesn't always work. Bear in mind that there may not be any internal memory.
The footage is very clear though. No problems with the resolution and lighting.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Mini 0826 7
W Mini 0826 3
Missiletech Mini 0826 20
Back