Battery Drain Problem

mogulbumm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have (3) vehicles with the SG9663DCPRO installed along with the hardwire kit. It is set to 12.2v cutoff in all three vehicles. (2) of the 3 vehicles have new batteries (heavy duty as one is a Jeep and the other a large SUV). The 3rd vehicle is a brand new F150.

We just came back from a 7-day vacation where the large SUV was left in the parking garage. When we went to start it the battery was literally drained down to nearly 0 (i.e. not even enough juice to unlock the doors). Luckily the garage has service to address this, but it took a hard-cabled jumper start AND the portable battery jumper combined to turn the engine over to start. Car charged on the ride home and has been starting fine each day since.

Jeep was started this morning for the first time in a week and barely was able to turn over. Tried the F150 and was unable to start with the remote start and it also barely was able to turn over to start.

With it being only a week, the ONLY thing these vehicles have in common is the Dashcam. One week of non-use of the vehicle is draining the battery so lo that one would not start at all and the others barely started. During daily use (or even a couple of days) they have been fine since the summer even in the coldest months, but none have gone more than 2-3 days at best without being used.

Needless to say, there has to be something in the camera drawing a consistent charge even after the threshold is reached. We live in New England so it does get cold, but it wasn't so cold that the car should struggle to start after only a week (and the Jeep was garaged). Has anybody else had this issue?

can you provide some detail on each vehicle, which circuits it's wired to etc, I leave vehicles for multiple weeks at a time and have had no issues like this, once the camera turns off there is a very low draw from the hardwire kit, a few mA at most, once the voltage cutoff is triggered though it draws nothing, it is completely off, zero volts

I will update tomorrow with more details as I frankly forget which fuses I tapped into originally.

thanks, the firmware update is needed also, from your support ticket reply you must be on an older version still

Did the firmware address any battery issues?
not as such but there's some changes in later versions that will prevent the camera turning back on if you have circuits that sleep and then wake back up, shouldn't be wired to circuits that do that but late model vehicles that use CAN-BUS aren't as straightforward so it's something that's easy to get wrong

That would make a ton of sense, especially on the F-150 which is always reporting status to the app/cloud on various aspects of the vehicle. I'll double-check which circuits I'm tapped into and also update the firmware tomorrow.

...but late model vehicles that use CAN-BUS aren't as straightforward so it's something that's easy to get wrong
Sounds like reliable parking mode is getting more and more difficult to implement properly - through no fault of the camera.

Sounds like reliable parking mode is getting more and more difficult to implement properly - through no fault of the camera.
yes it can be, that's why products like the Cellink Neo have a market, there are some cars where you can't hardwire for parking mode without causing issues with the vehicles electronics

Still having a battery drain issue in the 2017 Nissan Armada.

Switched: Power Socket
Constant: Room Lamp

Brand new battery in vehicle. Fine for 2-3 days. Hitting day 4 and can barely start vehicle (had to jump it earlier this week). We hadn't noticed this before since the truck is used almost daily, so first issue was after being on vacation for 8 days and having to jump-start in the airport garage (battery was so drained it needed two sets of jumpers). At home, seeing an issue now after 3 days of non-use. This means the camera is definitely drawing continually.

Any chance of a defective hardware kit not cutting at correct voltage?

Any chance of a defective hardware kit not cutting at correct voltage?
we don't get many problems with these but that's always a possibility, can have @Street Guardian USA send you a new one to rule that out, most often the problem is with late model vehicles with CAN-BUS wiring systems where circuits are controlled by the ECU, need details of the circuits you're connected to so we can have a tech look into that

Still having a battery drain issue in the 2017 Nissan Armada.
not a faulty battery is it?? i remember many years ago i had to replace my battery, a few weeks later turned out to be a faulty battery as having similar issues i was having before. took it back they tested it said it was faulty. put new one in again and good since.

not a faulty battery is it?? i remember many years ago i had to replace my battery, a few weeks later turned out to be a faulty battery as having similar issues i was having before. took it back they tested it said it was faulty. put new one in again and good since.

I've had one like that; mine was an economy store-branded job. Since then I've not used 'the cheapest option' for car batteries and have had no troubles. But it can happen with anything mass-produced, and that is why things come with warranties: sometimes you'll need that.

Phil

This may have been a combination of multiple factors. The battery was just recently replaced about a year ago with a high-end one, however I’m wondering if the CAN Bus didn’t contribute as well.

I’m sure the battery being constantly drained did not help, but I both rewired the unit to different circuits and replaced the battery under warranty. No issues in the past few weeks even with the vehicle barely used. I’ve been testing the battery every few days and it’s properly maintaining voltage at parking mode cutoff.

Back