battery for 1 hour footage on a squash court!!

Phil43

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an odd one this.
I am intending to buy a dashcam for use in my car. I almost certainly won't use it when I'm not driving as I tend to only park in safe areas (yes I know I'm lucky). The point is this: Given the wide angle lens I would also like it to use as a training tool for my squash. I would like to record about an hour's footage that I can then analyse at leisure with/without my coach. Dashcam specific battery packs look VERY expensive and seem to have a far higher capacity than I would ever need. I can pick up a good quality lead-acid battery on ebay for under £12, 7000mAh. is there any reason that I couldn't use this? I am assuming that dashcams are 12v .. but maybe some are 5v? I'm a newbie as you can tell. Any help much appreciated thanks.

Lead acid batteries are heavy, inconvenient and don't last long if you often discharge them by much or don't regularly charge them to 101%.

Much better to use a USB powerbank, 20,000mAh recommended, will last 24 hours with most dashcams, 48 hours with some, can be fully discharged, doesn't need regular charging, etc.

Reason for a 20,000mAh is to get a decent current, smaller ones don't always maintain a decent voltage at higher loads, although the better brands are normally fine, I use a 5000mAh powerbank sometimes if I only want 1 hour.

If you have a 12 volt camera then you can get USB-12 volt converters which work OK.

I had a borrowed van for awhile without a ciggie-socket for my G1W dashcam PS to connect to. I hooked up a ciggie-socket from my junkbox to a used 7A (7000mA) SLA battery I also had on hand and was getting 4+ hours of recording time so I'm certain what you speak of will get you an hour as you need.

A powerbank will be a more elegant solution, as you won't need to clip in a car battery charger all the time and it's lighter and prettier, but both ways will work.

Phil

I assume that the term 'powerbank' refers to the device that people buy to recharge phones, tablets etc. through a usb cable. That being the case, I have gone down that route and thank everyone for their useful replies.
Great forum.

I assume that the term 'powerbank' refers to the device that people buy to recharge phones, tablets etc. through a usb cable. That being the case, I have gone down that route and thank everyone for their useful replies.
Great forum.
Correct, hope it works well for you.

Are use a 20,000 mA power bank and I get 2 1/2 days out of it in an underground Parkade. I also use a 16,000 mA and I get a little more than a day usually with that one. You can always turn off the motion detection if you want to make sure you want to capture the entire match. I use my power banks anywhere from -10 Celsius to +30 Celsius and never a single problem but usually the car is parked in a cool out of the sun underground Parkade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back