Battery Life??

PhillVick996

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New here so go easy lol.

Now I know this has probably been posted before and I'm sure there is a lengthy thread on this but...

i bought the wife a 522GW with rear cam for Xmas complete with hardwire kit. So I'm quite vehicle and electrical savvy and fitted with no real agro. I went for a switched live feed with a piggyback off the 15a 12v cig feed from the fuse box.
Camera works as it should etc etc but is it me or is the battery absolutely shocking, I mean is there actually a battery in there or a couple of tiny insects trying to power a capacitor.
So I charged it up indoors as per the destructions, parking mode etc turned off. It went for about 2 and a bit hrs before the lil blue led turned off. Great let's get it in the car.
Got it all powering up when ignition switches on and immediately starts recording, switched parking mode back on as it appears to be a handy feature in case some scumbag decides to bang into your motor whilst your grafting at work.
Now comes the crutch of the thread, I switch off the ignition, camera switches off. Now obviously the parking mode senses motion from the G sensor (which is on low), problem is even shutting the door sends the camera into an instant panic and fires up starting the record process, ok that's good, that's what it's supposed to do. Problem is looking through the window to see if it's gonna go back to sleep I see the battery indicator drop from full 3 bars down to 1 then flashes the battery level low message within around 50secs. Surely it must last longer then this??
I have tested the camera after a full charge just leaving it turned on but not recording (no parking mode etc) and it lasts around 15mins ish, but as soon as it begins recording there seems to be some battery draining monster that obliterates any life the camera has.

Surely in order for this parking mode function to be of any use it must be able to withstand several start, record and switch off functions before draining a charge.

Is this parking mode function only suited to permanent live fed hook-ups? Which in itself would seem worrying due to potential vehicle battery draining.

Any help or advise would be appreciated, I've searched various forums and it appears I'm not the first to notice this. Sorry for the long thread but my brain is boggling wondering if the camera is faulty, but judging by other threads I'm not alone.

thanks for any help,

My 422gw is not hardwired as I use the 12v cig lighter in my works van, and yes for some reason the batterys on these models are f*****g c**p!!! Wish I had stuck to my trustworthy 412gw now before I threw it out...

My 422gw is not hardwired as I use the 12v cig lighter in my works van, and yes for some reason the batterys on these models are f*****g c**p!!! Wish I had stuck to my trustworthy 412gw now before I threw it out...
It would seem the battery's are p**s poor, it's not really acceptable considering the size of the unit. I've also heard they use lipo batterys, problem with lipo is they need a special charging system to function properly.

Yes, I have the new ball shaped rear camera fitted also.
Seems to be a pattern of people that have power related issues that are using it dual channel, try disconnect the rear for a while and see if you still keep running out of battery

Thank you, does seem a bit of a pointless system with such poor battery's. It seems like nextbase has the market name and now quality is slipping.

New here so go easy lol.

Now I know this has probably been posted before and I'm sure there is a lengthy thread on this but...

i bought the wife a 522GW with rear cam for Xmas complete with hardwire kit. So I'm quite vehicle and electrical savvy and fitted with no real agro. I went for a switched live feed with a piggyback off the 15a 12v cig feed from the fuse box.
Camera works as it should etc etc but is it me or is the battery absolutely shocking, I mean is there actually a battery in there or a couple of tiny insects trying to power a capacitor.
So I charged it up indoors as per the destructions, parking mode etc turned off. It went for about 2 and a bit hrs before the lil blue led turned off. Great let's get it in the car.
Got it all powering up when ignition switches on and immediately starts recording, switched parking mode back on as it appears to be a handy feature in case some scumbag decides to bang into your motor whilst your grafting at work.
Now comes the crutch of the thread, I switch off the ignition, camera switches off. Now obviously the parking mode senses motion from the G sensor (which is on low), problem is even shutting the door sends the camera into an instant panic and fires up starting the record process, ok that's good, that's what it's supposed to do. Problem is looking through the window to see if it's gonna go back to sleep I see the battery indicator drop from full 3 bars down to 1 then flashes the battery level low message within around 50secs. Surely it must last longer then this??
I have tested the camera after a full charge just leaving it turned on but not recording (no parking mode etc) and it lasts around 15mins ish, but as soon as it begins recording there seems to be some battery draining monster that obliterates any life the camera has.

Surely in order for this parking mode function to be of any use it must be able to withstand several start, record and switch off functions before draining a charge.

Is this parking mode function only suited to permanent live fed hook-ups? Which in itself would seem worrying due to potential vehicle battery draining.

Any help or advise would be appreciated, I've searched various forums and it appears I'm not the first to notice this. Sorry for the long thread but my brain is boggling wondering if the camera is faulty, but judging by other threads I'm not alone.

thanks for any help,
Hi there,

I'd recommend changing your power supply from a Switch Live fuse to a Permanent Live fuse if you're using the Hard Wire Kit. The Hard Wire kit has an in built voltage protector, which eliminates any risk of the Dash Cam draining your car's battery. We'd recommend having Parking Mode turned on if you're using a Permanent Live fuse as then the Dash Cam will be able to take an unlimited quantity of Parking Mode footage without the risk of the internal battery draining.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi there,

I'd recommend changing your power supply from a Switch Live fuse to a Permanent Live fuse if you're using the Hard Wire Kit. The Hard Wire kit has an in built voltage protector, which eliminates any risk of the Dash Cam draining your car's battery. We'd recommend having Parking Mode turned on if you're using a Permanent Live fuse as then the Dash Cam will be able to take an unlimited quantity of Parking Mode footage without the risk of the internal battery draining.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase
That works fine until the unit freezes & then it is possible to drain the car battery.

That works fine until the unit freezes & then it is possible to drain the car battery.
That is incorrect.

The voltage protection is in-built into the Hard Wire Kit and will cut off at 11.4V. Even if the Cam was frozen (in which case your Firmware requires updating to R19.1) the Cam would not be able to draw the current as the Hard Wire Kit is separate.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

That is incorrect.

The voltage protection is in-built into the Hard Wire Kit and will cut off at 11.4V. Even if the Cam was frozen (in which case your Firmware requires updating to R19.1) the Cam would not be able to draw the current as the Hard Wire Kit is separate.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase
Hi Millie, are you saying the firmware update will stop the freezing?

Hi Millie, are you saying the firmware update will stop the freezing?
Hi,

The latest Firmware R19.1 is designed to resolve the freezing bugs that we had previously reported on older Firmware

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Back