Battery not charging

timo75

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. I’ve had a 622 for a few weeks now (2nd unit - 1st one had Bluetooth issues and was replaced). All been fine until last week when the screen was blank during driving suddenly? Battery said it was flat ?
Took the unit inside to charge via usb for 4 hrs as recommended and as soon as I unplug the unit it dies within 20secs ?! Tried reset button and another charge.. same issue.. unplug.. 20secs… blank screen and power off..
I’ve seen from the internet there are many battery issues with this manufacturer. Is this yet another ‘ask for replacement ’ job?
It was bought direct from nextbase along with the sd card sbd had no issues until last week .
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your 622GW. I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi Millie.. I did as you requested and these are the results:-
After charging for over 4 hrs and then unplugging and relaunching the camera it showed 2 bars on the battery symbol - after 10secs this dropped to 1 bar - after 60secs I got the battery low warning and no bars- then after 90secs it shut down completely.
I'd contacted Nextbase where I bought the camera and they said if there is a battery issue they would repair it not replace it (this is the 2nd unit I've had since the 1st purchase in Nov2021. Seems a little harsh that they've said my 1st purchase was back in Nov so not due a replacement - even though the 1st unit was replaced in Jan due to bluetooth issues..
I assume from the results of the test the battery is not performing and I need to send it back? Thanks.

Hello Tim,

I'm afraid it sounds like the battery is not performing at the level that we expect and we would recommend replacing the battery. I'll direct message you now for further details.

Kind regards,
Millie

so the unit came back and was put back in the car. Today someone hit us and when I went to remove the camera from the car it was red hot.. I mean RED HOT especially the connection port. Worse was to come.. the camera hasnt recorded anything today.. but did record over night at 3am?.. darkness?!. so no video of todays collision..
So since January this is the 3rd unit (including fixes).. its red hot, recorded darkness and didnt record a crash which is why I bought it.... not a happy man as you can imagine.
thanks, regards Tim

Hi Tim,

It sounds like there's a different fault going on to what we originally thought with the battery. I've responded to your direct message.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi Millie thanks.
I bought the entire package from nextbase, including rear camera, cabling, and sd card. Fitting was also organised by them too..
the first unit had a Bluetooth issue so wa replaced, that unit developed a failed battery was replaced by nextbase and now this. I’ve attached the package I bought. Thanks , appreciate it

Attachments

• CF461039-A74A-4BEF-B1F9-FB2AB70B0B52.png
    CF461039-A74A-4BEF-B1F9-FB2AB70B0B52.png
    357.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi Tim,

Do you have a ticket number open with our Support Team please? If you could direct message me the ticket number I can then assist further.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back