Battery not holding charge after changing

ChristyWisty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
So my 412GW camera wasn’t used for 3 months or so whilst I was waiting to get it hardwired into my new car (Fiesta). I had it professionally hardwired who connected it to a ACC feed. I have the screensaver option turned on and the parking mode G sensor is set to medium. The camera works perfectly when the ignition is on and does show it is charging but the battery wasn’t holding any charge and showing the “low battery” warning. I contacted Nextbase and bought a new battery and had it installed but no improvement, the battery still won’t fully charge and when the ignition is off I get the same warning after a very short period of time, certainly not 15 minutes. I have brought the camera inside and plugged into mains to charge for several hours, the blue light is on and it shows to be charging and I can get the battery icon to show as fully charged but it drains almost instantly, certainly not able to use the parking function.
Any ideas? Is it time for a new camera?
Thank you!

Hello,

I'd recommend performing a battery test:

1. Remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

Please can you let me know how long the battery lasts?

Kind regards,
Millie
nextbase Technical Support

Hi Millie,
Done all the above and it lasted 32 mins until the low battery screen was displayed.
Christy

Hi Christy,

32 minutes would indicate that the battery is fully functioning, that's a good time for a 412GW battery. Anything over 10 minutes is a good result.
If you try the cigarette lighter cable within your car, does the same issue happen as on the hard wire kit please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi Christy,

32 minutes would indicate that the battery is fully functioning, that's a good time for a 412GW battery. Anything over 10 minutes is a good result.
If you try the cigarette lighter cable within your car, does the same issue happen as on the hard wire kit please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,
So I have plugged the dash cam in this morning with the cig lighter but now it doesn’t seem to turn off so a bit wary of trying it for any longer. It constantly either has a pink or red light on and shows to be charging even with the key out of the ignition! So obviously it will charge better/constantly with the cig lighter but this isn’t what I want as I don’t want my car battery drained and I couldn’t deal with the untidy wires hence why I paid for the hardwiring. Anything else I can try please :)
@Nextbase Support

Hi,

Your cigarette lighter socket is permanently live by the sounds of it. If you unplug it from the CLC, does the battery show as fully charged?

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi,

Your cigarette lighter socket is permanently live by the sounds of it. If you unplug it from the CLC, does the battery show as fully charged?

Kind regards,
Millie
Yes seems to be charging okay in the cigarette lighter, which I guess is expected as like you say it’s a permanent live feed in a fiesta. I had it plugged in for 30 mins, unplugged had 3 bars which instantly dropped to two but better than when plugged into hardwire @Nextbase Support

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. Is it possible for you to try the hard wire kit on a different fuse please?
If you'd like to, please give us a call on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we can talk you through the troubleshooting directly.

Kind regards,
Millie

@Nextbase Support this isn’t something I trust myself to be doing I’m utterly clueless with cars and don’t want to pay another £50 for the chap who installed it to come back out. I’ll just have to leave it unfortunately

I'm sorry to hear that. If you speak to the installer, they might be able to move the fuse tap free of charge?

Kind regards,
Millie

I'm sorry to hear it. I'd recommend giving us a call and we can try to see if there's anything else we can do to help.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back